Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default ACP not web accessible behind Cell Modem

I believe this issue is or will be happening more and more. We changed internet service providers in the rural area for the Cell modem. In the past this hasn't been a problem because we would just go onto the Cell modem and enable port forwarding and the NO-IP would route across. The problem now is that the new provider uses double NAT.... Meaning the public IP is at their central office or Cell repeater and then our modem is assigned a private 10.x.x.x ip assignment. The cell modem then assigns an IP in 192.168.1.x so ACP runs on second IP or double NAT assignment. We enable IP forwarding from the 10.x to the 192 subnet, but we do not have access to enable port forwarding on the IP provider. The cell provider will not enable any port on the private LAN side to the Cell phone modems. because our IP is not static and it is a private IP. It is all about the fact that there are basically no more IPV4 available for static IP's. With all the cell modems and cell phones it causes the same thing. Has anyone one come up with a new way to gain web access to ACP? Is this something that more people will be faced when purchasing ACP, that the only way to use it will be through a VNC or teamviewer access?

Todd

Since ACP provides a web server, then somehow access into that webserver must be provided. The problem I see is not the NO-IP (which is simply a name to address translation) or the need for a static IP but the port mapping from the public dynamic-IP/port to the IP/port of the computer running ACP. It is interesting that there are a couple of hops between the public IP and the ACP computer but fundamentally somehow an incoming TCP connection request to some port on the public IP has to be routable to the IP and port on the computer running ACP.

If you can't get that kind of service then I'm afraid you're stuck with remote desktop and all of the security issues that come with it.

I may be wrong here. I'm always interesting in learning new things.
    -- Bob

Ya this is going to be an interesting problem. Right now the No-ip get me to the real IP address of the ISP but without a port forward there is no way to get outside access to the web server running on the ACP web server. Frankly i'm surprised this hasn't come up previously because more and more ISP's will not provide a static external IP for customers without a extra cost or they reserve that option strictly for business accounts. Hmmm just had a thought as I type this out. I wonder is open VPN might be a solution. Just like at work I can VPN from home and now my computer connects like a computer in the office. Maybe a personal VPN connection using open VPN might provide a means of connecting to the observatory network behind the cellular modem. I've seen routers advertise open VPN included and people talking about using the router VPN service. I never saw a need for it but maybe this is something that will need some exploration.

When I read of your predicament, I too thought about a VPN (I use NordVPN but I don't think it much matters which), as it tunnels through my office NAT effectively. But that's on local PCs. The problem I couldn't solve for remote PCs is--if something messes up at the remote PC, how do you re-establish access? This isn't a problem if the VPN is running on the local computer because you can just kill or restart the VPN. But for a remote computer, it seems to me that if the VPN breaks you may just have no access. I personally would want to try it on a spare test laptop before I committed for my observatory PC.
    measuring space rock colors and rotation rates, from Albuquerque NM

Default ACP not web accessible behind Cell Modem

The issue is not the name to IP translation, thus it is not No-IP that is the barrier. Neither is a requirement to have a static IP. The No-IP DUC discovers your public IP and sends that to its service to translate your name to that public IP. It can be a dynamic IP (which is the reason you need No-IP otherwise you could just have a static name to address in DNS).

The problem is how to get an inbound TCP connection from somewhere on the public internet into your PC running ACP so its web server can process that and return a response back out to the public internet. The fact that there are two hops through NAT networks creates the problem. There is nothing that can be done at the ACP end, it just listens on TCP/IP and responds to requests it gets.

The VPN idea is interesting except it would be a one to one service. Only one client on the public internet could talk to your ACP server. If that is good enough for you, that would be a solution. Set up the VPN between your computer (Mac, PC whatever), then edit the Hosts file to create the name to VPN address translation, and you could open your browser and go to the domain name for ACP. But no one else could be on that VPN unless they were on the client end of that same VPN.

You could set up a home net at the client end of the VPN so you could get to the IP but you would need to run your own DNS server to make that name available (or edit all of their Hosts file). It wouldn’t be awful to get there with ah IP address in the URL. And it would be a local IP so could be IPV4.

I m,,ay be wrong about there not being a way to get a TCP connection from the public net into your observatory computer. I also don’t think the cell companies are interested in providing server access.
    -- Bob

Try using ngrok it allows you to expose a web server running on your local machine to the internet. It's like TeamViewer. I am setting up a remote system with a cell router and so [far] it seem to work.

Blaine
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Jan 14, 2021 at 16:10. Reason: Clarification in []

Blaine thank you!!!

I just looked at this and it appears interesting!!! Todd if you try this let us know here.

Blaine -- I'm amazed to see you here since your licenses are from 14 years ago :-)
    -- Bob

Oh, I like this ngrok. So long as one's connections are reasonably persistent (it does limit new connections), it looks like a great tool. Thanks, Blaine.
    measuring space rock colors and rotation rates, from Albuquerque NM

Default Old, but still alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Blaine thank you!!!

I just looked at this and it appears interesting!!! Todd if you try this let us know here.

Blaine -- I'm amazed to see you here since your licenses are from 14 years ago :-)
    I am moving my observatory to a dark site in eastern Washington. There is a cell tower near by so I can get connected. I was pulling my hair out until I found ngrok. You need to get paid version $60/yr.
    I'm still in testing mode, but hope to have the bugs worked by May this year. Also looks like StarLink may workout, but I have not got my hands on it. That will give me two way to get to the systems. Looks like I may have to up upgrade to the new ACP!!!

The old Paramount ME is still working fine. Does the new ACP (to me) still play nice with The SkyX and PlanWave?

Blaine

Does the new ACP (to me) still play nice with The SkyX and PlanWave?
    Yes but for a PlaneWave which itself has the universal ASCOM interface, TheSky is not needed.
    -- Bob

Thread Information