Hybrid View

Default Scheduler - RGB constraint settings as opposed to Luminance

Hello everyone,

I'm working my way through the trial period trying to understanding ACP and the important scheduler function of picking projects and when to run its plans. On the main scheduler page I have the dispatcher set to "Prefer Meridian" and "Prefer failed Plans":

1.png

During this testing time, I have my targets set with few constraints so I can understand, or try to understand what is going on with the dispatcher decision process. I have also read the 2006 scheduler PDF [nearly killed me], to try and help understand how selection basically works.

The dispatcher is seemingly working well for luminance, maintaining an excellent geometry pointing around the zenith for captures, however, for RGB, I would prefer these to be taken between 45 degrees and say 80 degrees of altitude. I have a good load of test plans in place to keep the dispatcher busy throughout the night, but can I persuade it to consider these lower altitude targets?

2.png

I have all targets set to Sky: "Good", and my average priority is 5.

3.png

For RGB, I have posted another thread on understanding the Air Mass constraints [Here]. I am wondering if I can use this Air mass calculator to define altitudes to constrain Red, Green and Blue filter exposures? Like:

4.png

In the above image, I am wondering if I have the air mass constraints in backwards = low to high?

These were skipped last night. To force these to happen, should I raise the Priority from 5 to 10 [for example]?

Or, if I'm just not getting this constraint tool for air mass, and it wont work like this, can someone please provide their preferred way of capturing RGB? I just don't wont to loose precious zenith imaging time to the colour subs.

Thank you for your time.

Steve Mohr

Are you in Australia or Chile? I can't tell why or why not certain plans are skipped or chosen unless I can see your observing requests and the Scheduler Engine log. I do hope you are using the web Astro Imaging form to break your work up into 60 min or shorter chunks (Plans). The airmass range is not available on that form, though, so you could be in for a lot of work with the web or desktop request editors! BUT...

I'm wondering if your strategy is really going to improve your throughput. Maybe we should talk. To me, if you're going to collect photons the best place to do it is up high. I'm unsure why you would want to force it to work lower. But maybe I''m missing something (quite possible!!). Give me a call +1 480 396 9700 M-F 0800-1700 AZST (UTC-7), please leave voicemail if I don't answer.
    -- Bob

Hello Bob,

Im in Australia, using the web interface, having 30 min plans.

I see ACP will provide many more hours than CCDAP, so I will give up on the airmass idea as you suggest.

I just need that firmware update to my STXL so I can get exposures and guiding working correctly, its a stupid and very frustrating fault. For some reason, CCDSOFT still works okay with CCDAUTOPILOT, extremely frustrating.

Thank you for your time to answer my thread,

Steve

Ok Steven, thanks. Once you get with SBIG and get the camera going let me know and we can move on.
    -- Bob

What you need is a hour angle from -2 to -1 which keeps it away from the area you want to do clear filter. I don't know if the right edit box allows negative numbers. Another way is set rgb to + or - 2 at priority 5 and clear + or - 1 priority 6. Also keep block times pretty short. That said I do all my Lrgb and + or - 2 and get very well Images

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Dean Salman
    Deep Sky Remote Observatory

https://deansalman.photography
    http://www.sharplesscatalog.com

Hi Dean,

Thank you kindly for your information- every little bit is helping.

Thanks,

Steve

Thread Information