Default Windows 10 Update 1511 - Bad News

Here's a message that floated by on the ASCOM-Talk list from Manning Butterworth. I post it without comment, other than to avoid upgrading a happy Windows 7 to an unhappy Windows 10 system.

I'll be happy to share my experience. In my case, the Windows 10 upgrade to 1511 meant the mail system no longer worked, the financial software no longer worked, the document management software no longer worked, the directly connected printer no longer worked, the directly connected scanner no longer worked. This pretty much qualified as an unusable system in my opinion. By "no longer worked" I mean either the application or device would no longer execute at all or an attempt would generate an error message about missing DLLs which were not missing. After spending an entire very long day trying futilely to correct these problems, I decided it was much better to cut my losses and roll back to the original Windows 10 release. Thereupon everything worked as it had done, and I could get on with life.
    A quick search revealed that there are hundreds of problems with Windows 10 build 1511. As I said in my original post, the affected system was fortunately not the one I use for astronomy. Had it been, I might have mistakenly thought the problems were hardware related.
    From what I have read and from what I experienced, Windows 10 1511 is very far from being ready for prime time. I am happy for those that have upgraded without problems. But, I will not voluntarily upgrade any more systems to 1511.
    Manning B
    -- Bob

Crazy huh. This is why I don't update from a older windows with all the software loaded. I will get a new drive, even a laptop, and then install windows 7 and upgrade. Once done install software. Windows 8 really changed the rules which is why I went to 8. But I agree if you have a happy system why upgrade. That said I am the stupid one and always keep up to date.
    Dean Salman
    Deep Sky Remote Observatory

http://www.ccdimages.com
    http://www.sharplesscatalog.com

Well that applies to Windows, and your approach is a good one (start fresh). I do hope you keep up with our releases though :-)
    -- Bob

Thread Information