Hybrid View

Default Reinstalling Pinpoint

Hi. I recently had my motherboard and hard drive fail and am almost finished reloading all of my programmes. I have MaximDL installed but I have been unable to reinstall Pinpoint. I have the pre-failure download on an external drive and have copied it to my new hard drive. When I run exe I get an error stating that I need to purchase a licence. There is no logon screen where I can enter my old licence. Please advise if you are able to help. Many thanks.

Gord,

Pinpoint has a stand-alone utility for registration. If the entire package has been installed, look under:
    Start->All Programs->Pinpoint. Look for "Register Pinpoint".

Tom Haugh

Hi Tom. Thanks for your help. I wasn't able to find a "register Pinpoint" utility but I did find an older version of Pinpoint which I tried and it seemed to work. I'll need to test it out but, fingers crossed, I think I'm back in business.

Cheers,

Gord

How did you get the older version to work without entering a license? I suspect you are running on the 60 day trial and will be back in a few weeks.

Look in your license message for directions on how to register and unlock. If you lost that, write to info@dc3.com to get a copy of your license.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob. I found an old version that I had copied to my external drive showing a last modified date of 12/08/2014. I clicked on the .exe and it loaded. It shows Visual PinPoint Application v6.0.2 and PinPoint engine v6.0.7. All seems to work well at this point. I do have the email with my original license but under the PinPoint file folder I don't see anything to select for registration.

[Windows 7] In the Windows Start Menu, All Programs, PinPoint, select Register PinPoint.
    -- Bob

My new laptop has Windows 10 and I've navigated to the pinpoint folder and can't find Register Pinpoint. I'm wondering if in moving it to the new hard drive it somehow became corrupted? I was going to update my licence but missed the deadline last Fall so perhaps a fresh install with the upgrade?

What do you mean "moved to a new hard drive"? It is not generally possible to simply copy files from one computer to another as a substitute for running the installer to properly install software. You need to run the PinPoint installer on your "new" system. Then,

In the Windows Start Menu, All Programs, PinPoint, select Register PinPoint.
    Well on W10 it's All Apps not All Programs... perhaps these pictures will help:

At this point the Register window will appear and you can type in the info per the previous message.

If this isn't good enough feel free to reply back and I will do it for you online.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob. That did the trick. I was going in through File Explorer rather than All Apps.

BTW, what I did when I knew my hard drive was failing was copy my entire c drive to my external drive. That was more or less to give me a record of what programmes I had. The majority of them continued to work when I copied it back to my new hard drive.

OK, good! In the future use Acronis TrueImage to back up. You can restore to a new drive (even one of a different/bigger size) and you will be able to instantly boot and be right where you were. I use it to back up to USB portable drives and keep one in the safe box.

PS I usually don't provide support when someone's support has expired. This section of the Comm Center is for customer service (non-tech). Happy New year and enjoy! If you renew, though, you will be able to enjoy a 2x or better increase in solving speed with PinPoint 6.1.
    -- Bob

Thread Information