Edgewood, NM - about 30 mi E of Albuqeurque at 6,800 ft.

Default More Problems With Sky Plan Capture

Sky Plan Capture picks up targets and loads them into Planner just fine, but I can't get it to roll the time.

The mouse wheel just changes zoom in TheSky window as it does without Planner. The variations on the Mouse Roll ( Ctrl + Roll, etc ) change the rate of zoom.

I first ran SkyX, Planner, and Sky Plan Capture in admin mode and then cleared it in all.

Running....
    Planner v 4.2.6
    TheSkyX v 10.2.0 Build 6409
    Windows v 10.0.10240 Build 10240 64-bit

Jim Seargeant

Well, I was not entirely correct about clearing the run as admin for Planner.

If I leave the run as admin box unchecked, trying to start Planner gets me a Runtime Error - Permission Denied response.

If I check Planner's admin box, Planner starts OK.

If I leave Planner's admin box unchecked and start TheSky Plan Capture, Planner starts and runs OK.

Jim Seargeant

The Plan Capture window has to be "active" for it to have a connection to the mouse for time rolling or target capturing. By clicking a button it makes it active, but for mouse wheel you have to click that Plan Capture window to make it active, then the time rolling will work. I can't do anything about this, Windows connects the mouse to the active window.

Planner and PlanCapture do not need to be run as Administrator, ever. TheSky has to be run as Administrator ONE TIME ONLY to cause it to register its interfaces with Windows, then NEVER AGAIN. Things can get confused when programs are taken in and out of Administrator mode, including the settings and program registration. Now I am confused by the latest symptoms you report. If you want to call I'll get on to your system and look because supposedly what you report is "impossible".
    -- Bob

OK Bob, I have part of the answer. Time rolling works only if TheSky Plan Capture window is active ( I knew that; been trying it that way) and the mouse pointer is kept hovering over the TheSky Plan Capture window. With the Plan Capture window active and the mouse pointer hovering over the general area of TheSkyX sky view, rolling the mouse zooms the sky window. With The Plan Capture window active and the mouse pointer hovering somewhere inside the Capture window, the time rolls. I didn't know that part. Is it expected?

The other "issue" - with the admin box unchecked, Planner starts only via the Plan Capture - remains true.

I may well have confused things by taking Planner in and out of Admin mode while trying to verify what I think I'm seeing.

I can call - number? Or you can call me whenever - 505-227-4630.

Jim Seargeant

I'll call in a bit, but here is how it is supposed to work:

-- Bob

Solved by phone (1 of 2) -- Some things got mixed up due to running in Administrator. I re-ran the Planner installer and that cleared the problem. His settings had been virtualized so they were lost, but fortunately he had a set-up Planner in the observatory, so we saved that profile and loaded it into the other Planner. All set.

The problem with mousewheel time control appears to be a quirk of Windows 10. It may no longer be possible to capture the mouse as I do. Fortunately holding the mouse over the Plan Capture window allows time control anyway.
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Nov 18, 2015 at 14:41.
    -- Bob

Thank you, Bob!

Jim Sgt

Thread Information