Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Bob,
    Overnight Steve Brady supplied FocusMax v4 RC23 for testing of the AcquireStarAsync issue described in this thread. Skies were clear at SSO so had a chance to give the RC23 build a work through. Good news, the AcquireStarAsync is working as expected. When the first star fails, FocusMax can continue to focus on the 2nd and 3rd stars whilst the host program (ACP) waits. Before, upon failure of the first star the host program would continue on with its tasks. Attached is the ACP autofocus log showing the selection of 2nd and 3rd stars for reference. I understand this will now be included in the final build. I have let Steve know of this success. I've not heard yet as to when the final build is planned to be released but I expect it will be very soon. Below is a listing of fixes/improvements in the new build that Steve shared with me. Item 26 the area of focus for this forum thread.

Thank you too Bob for seeing this through.

1. Added telescope settle time message to Log following a slew
    2. Removed zenith coordinates from Log if user has not selected AcquireStar Goto zenith
    3. Fixed bug that would display message that a FocusMax update is available if there was not internet connection available
    4. Added code to disable 'Select' button on Vcurve window if imaging platform is not MaxIm
    5. Fixed bug reported in Log if telescope was connected and tracking , reported RA was actually DEC
    6. Mean Focus Position is now sent to Log during focus run
    7. Fixed bug where AcquireStar would fail if AcquireStarAvoid.txt encountered CrLf in the text
    8. Added new method to download images from TheSkyX using ccdsoftImage.scanLine. This was implemented by SW Bisque to address out of memory error during image transfer to host application
    9. Added code to disable Spiral Search if TSX ImageLink is selected in AcquireStar. Preferred method for large pointing error is to enable All Sky in the TSX
    10. Set Frame width in Preferences/Autofocus to max 200
    11. Fixed bug where Traffic Log was not saving the window position when closed
    12. Fixed bug where Focuser Chooser would reopen after a selection was made
    13. Added code to enable or disable Preferences/AcquireStar/PinPoint tab controls based on plate solve method selected by the user. PinPoint tabs will be enabled for editing if selected as the plate solve method and disabled if TSX ImageLink is selected.
    14. Added code to wait for pImage image to be written to directory and verify that it is not locked. A permissions error may be found if a file locked due to PC read/write latency.
    15. Retooled AcquireStar to increase speed and ability to identify autofocus target star and subframe in the FOV
    16. Eliminated the AcquireStar Field Search combo box and now use a mathematical model to set the catalog field search size based on the brightest star in the user defined mag range for the filter in use
    17. Added synthesized star field to AcquireStar when running with MaxIm simulator camera and PinPoint - see Preferences/AcquireStar
    18. Updated script AcquireStarAsync_Two_Focusers to work with current FocusMax version
    19. Updated UTC Offset in Preferences/Telescope to reflect times offsets that are reported in fractional hours (ex. Darwin, Australia = +9.5 hrs). ASCOM Platform Util.TimeZoneOffset returns an integer so implemented new methods to get time zone info via Windows API. Also added time zone name
    20. Added new formatting to Log to differentiate between user defined settings in the Log - they will appear indented with ''
    21. Disabled get focuser temperature while polling at user defined rate (1 sec default) if the focuser is moving. This is based on feedback that get temperature may be delayed while moving.
    22. Added instruction to verify MaxIm file format is *not* set to compressed format if "PinPoint error - could not attach to image" is seen.
    23. Fixed bug where camera binning would change when camera connection is made
    24. FocusMax will now generate a synthesized star field based on catalog selected in PinPoint when running with simulators. Requires PinPoint (full version), MaxIm and telescope in tracking mode (using simulator or real telescope). This will also generate a star size that is proptional to the measured star HFD value. See Preferences/AcquireStar.
    25. FocusMax can also utilize TheSkyX DSS images in simulator mode for learning purposes.
    26. Fixed bug where AcquireStarAsync would set fail flag if focus failed and then would proceed to next star in the selected target star list . The Host program would see the fail status and continue operation while FocusMax was busy attempting to focus on the next star.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Bob, yeah I've got John's ASA on my PME hosted at SSO in Australia. It replaced my 12.5" RCOS which I've put into storage for the time being. John is a top guy. I've got a lot of time for him and happy to help him out. The ASA runs close to autonomously night in, night out with Scheduler in control. He sent me a few pics of his new 20". He should have a blast with it.

Excellent!! Thanks for letting us know.
    -- Bob

I was also able to confirm last night that this Beta from Steve fixes the problem, but the Beta has a few other minor issues that he will have to fix before sending out a new release build.

- Barry

Thanks Barry... I thought I saw on the CCDWare forum that it wasn't working for you but then I read it again and I get what you meant. I clarified there.
    -- Bob

Ran with FM4 last night

It ran OK. Tonight I will inject some errors. I am still running with the release version of 8.0.

I have been using ACP 8 along with a Beta of FM4 (now released) for at least two weeks, without any problem, so I am pretty sure this is now resolved. I have specifically set up cases where AcquireStar had to try a 2nd or 3rd star, and that worked fine.

- Barry

Thanks guys. I talked to Steve Brady at the AIC conference and gave him thanks for jumping on this so quickly.

-- Bob

Thread Information