Default "Unexpected error; guitting" After ACP 8 Upgrade

Hi Bob!

Running acp-80-setup.exe to install ACP 8 was error-free, but running ACP now results in an error: "Unexpected error; quitting"

Should I uninstall, then re-install?

Just kidding ... only rattling your cage ... I know that would be committing the only unforgivable sin in the ACP community, and I'm not going to do it unless instructed to do so! I don't see any other posts about this issue, so I'm wondering if it might be something unique about my setup ... maybe the SRO weather server we tested? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks! John

This looks like some Microsoft-supplied run time files are missing. Look at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VBA

there should be two files

MRT7ENU.DLL
    MSO97RT.DLL

Are they there? If not I will post back with copies. One other time, Arne Henden of AAVSO, had this problem. I'm unsure how his Window 7 got into the state where those files were missing.
    -- Bob

If it makes a difference, I'm running Windows 8.1 on my observatory tower. However there is no VBA directory under Microsoft Shared, let alone the 2 files you indicated. In fact, there is no VBA directory on my Windows 7 laptop, either.

- John

Hmm... I guess those aren't the ones. They were the last time I had this one a few years ago, but you're right those files aren't on my Win 8.1 or my Win 10 systems (well VM's "out of the box" installations) and ACP 8 runs fine on both. So I'll need to get on to your system with an analysis tool (SysInternals' Process Monitor) to see what's going on when it is stopping. Give me some times, I'm OK till 7PM tonight, or all day/eve Thurs/Fri/Sat.
    -- Bob

Thanks for your help, Bob! For anybody else running into this error, reinstalling ACP (without uninstalling) fixed it.

- John

I really enjoyed our conversation, but I sure wish I hadn't re-run the ACP installer. It would have been better to know why the first installation didn't complete properly (and displayed no error!).

-- Bob

Thread Information