Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MPCORB DB returns Permission Denied even having followed 64-bit install instructions

Hi Bob, I'm trying to get a local install of MPCORB data base up and running so I can call asteroid targets from ACP/Scheduler. I'm running a 64-bit system running Win7HP SP1, and I have followed the directions carefully on running cscript MakeDB.wsf in that situation.

I've also made certain UAC are off and full permissions for all users on all elements within the MPCORB folder.

However I continue to get . C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ASCOM\MPCORB\MakeDB.wsf(143,2) Microsoft JScript runtime error: Permission denied

Having tried multiple times, I'm not sure what to try next as I hope to move the asteroids work off of scripting in MPO Connections to use the full capacity of ACP.

Thanks for pointing me toward the best next step.

Dave

Line 143 is the line where it is trying to open the MPCORB.DAT file for reading. Is it possible that this file is already open in another program? Maybe that other program has it read-locked because that other program is some type of editor?
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob. That would be logical but I don't see any other tasks running, nothing is open and I looked at the background processes, nothing that would draw on MPCORB.dat.

Another thought?

I can't reproduce the problem here, and no one else has reported it. I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe you have another computer that you could do the build on? Install MPCORB there, run the MakeMPC there, then move the resulting mpcorb.mdb (database) back to your "real" computer.
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob, sounds like the right approach and appreciate the direction. I've had a few odd things on that box running W7/HP, but doing the build elsewhere is likely the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, that' s the trick, all set.

OK, good!!
    -- Bob

Well Bob I spoke too quickly. It worked fine on the other machine but when I moved it into the directories on the observatory it fails to work, generating a Windows permission denied error. It looks like all the permissions structures are messed up across the system and even from administrator mode, I have been unable to get permission to write/access the folders that are necessary. This explains some other odd behavior when I have run ACP recently, permission denied errors during runs. Looks like I need to get some Geeks to resolve the windows issue as every downloaded support tool I've tried fails to resolve the problem. I'll let you know how to ultimately works out in case someone else ever runs into this sort of thing.

I can't help you without more specific info, but it does sound like someone or some well-meaning "safety" program made some unusual windows permissions changes. What's odd is that no new files are created once the MDB file exists. the routine use simply reads the MDB.
    -- Bob

Hi David,

I just made a new MPCORB.MDB file without a hitch. I understood you to say that you could created this file on a different machine, but it would not read on your observatory computer. And also that you could not read the MPCORB.DAT file on that observatory computer either.

I'd send you the .MDB file I made, but it's 226 MB, and won't fit on the Forum. Do you have a Dropbox I could open and deposit this file in? Reply here if you do and I'll contact you through the Forum messaging with an email where you can send the particulars. This would at least get you going in the absence of actually solving the real problem.

Yeah, it is a permissions problem, most likely. I've attached three screens showing the properties I have on my computer for the MakeDB application. You can right-click on your MakeDB.wsf file and select properties and compare the tabs with mine. If they're the same, then that eliminates one possible problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Thread Information