Default AutoFocus script changing settings in FocusMax preferences

Hi,

It seems that whenever I run the AutoFocus script something (either ACP or FM) changes some of the FM preferences. Specifically, the Return to Start Position gets enabled. I leave it off when testing so I can test in marginal conditions, but it keeps getting turned back on. Any idea what I might look for?

Also, when testing under marginal conditions, an AcquireStar run can take over 10m (I have the convergence settings very tight) which is triggering a timeout apparently in ACP (doesn't show in the FM logs, only in the ACP logs). Is there someplace I can adjust this timeout?

I've attached log from ACP where the FM preferences were set so Return to Start Position was disabled at the start of the run, but enabled sometime during the run since the Final Focus > max allowed HFD gets triggered.

This does not happen when I invoke an AcquireStar manually from FM or via the other automation program.

Thanx,

Paul Howard
    Attached Files Attached Files

It seems that whenever I run the AutoFocus script something (either ACP or FM) changes some of the FM preferences. Specifically, the Return to Start Position gets enabled. I leave it off when testing so I can test in marginal conditions, but it keeps getting turned back on. Any idea what I might look for?
    Yes, the ACP AutoFocus() function turns this option on. It is by design, and should be used during automated runs to prevent wholesale image lossage. Otherwise a botched AF can leave the optics so far out of focus that it won't ever recover. If you want to temporarily disable it for testing, in AcquireSupport.wsc, find

c_FMx.FocusRoutineReturnToStartPositionEnable = True

and change the True to False.

[QUOTE]Also, when testing under marginal conditions, an AcquireStar run can take over 10m (I have the convergence settings very tight) which is triggering a timeout apparently in ACP (doesn't show in the FM logs, only in the ACP logs). Is there someplace I can adjust this timeout?/QUOTE]

Are you sure you want to do this? Ten minutes is an eternity! I'm thinking your convergence criteria is far tighter than the critical focus zone, and you're basically in a realm where convergence success is simply a random process way inside the zone where it would make any practical difference in your image quality. But... If you want, look in AcquireSupport.wsc for

Const MXAFTIME = 600 ' Kill FocusMax if it runs longer than 10 min (600 sec)

and change it to how many seconds you're willing to wait. I won't be change it for the production ACP though :-)
    -- Bob

[QUOTE=Bob Denny;50575]Yes, the ACP AutoFocus() function turns this option on. It is by design, and should be used during automated runs to prevent wholesale image lossage. Otherwise a botched AF can leave the optics so far out of focus that it won't ever recover. If you want to temporarily disable it for testing, in AcquireSupport.wsc, find

c_FMx.FocusRoutineReturnToStartPositionEnable = True

and change the True to False.

Also, when testing under marginal conditions, an AcquireStar run can take over 10m (I have the convergence settings very tight) which is triggering a timeout apparently in ACP (doesn't show in the FM logs, only in the ACP logs). Is there someplace I can adjust this timeout?/QUOTE]

Are you sure you want to do this? Ten minutes is an eternity! I'm thinking your convergence criteria is far tighter than the critical focus zone, and you're basically in a realm where convergence success is simply a random process way inside the zone where it would make any practical difference in your image quality. But... If you want, look in AcquireSupport.wsc for

Const MXAFTIME = 600 ' Kill FocusMax if it runs longer than 10 min (600 sec)

and change it to how many seconds you're willing to wait. I won't be change it for the production ACP though :-)
    Thanx for the info. I'll eventually leave the return to start enabled, but right now still tweaking FocusMax - had some initial issues with a slight vibration messing with the vcurves. So I've been leaving it off for the moment so I can keep a log of focus points to see if I'm still having this problem. The convergence is probably tighter than it needs to be (it's 1/6 the CFZ right now). It's mainly this tight to get a feel for focus offsets for the various filters. I thought it was a bit hard to figure out small focus offsets with a larger variablity in the actual focus points. Anyway the upshot is I'm not entirely happy with my focus configuration right now hence the odd settings I'm using.

Paul

OK, hang in there...
    -- Bob

Thread Information