Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pinpoint issue ( and that seems to be the last issue)

freaky, now the guiding works: i didnt change anything i think,

What is giving errors now though and not before is pinpoint:

following error:

PinPoint serial validation failed - no validator enging, code = -2147221005

I have a trial version of acp for the moment, to see if i can get this baby to work, i never had these errors before settings:

Pinpoint and all sky:
    guide star catalog 1.1

C:\gsc11 ( i checked this is the correct place )

exp interval: 60sec
    max pointing error: 3 min
    max slew w/o pointing update 10 degrees
    max solve fails: 8

except for the 60 seconds these were the settings when i installed

all sky solving off or on doesnt make a difference

Default Pinpoint issue ( and that seems to be the last issue)

Hello Bob,

I don't know what or how but the problems seem to solve themselves, strangely enough.

I reinstalled maxim dl 6 after the pin point error screen with serial problem and that solved it.

I also got my guiding to work, i can not use calibration and it hangs like once in a while but if i can open maxim do a test and calibrate and put all calibrations off and than start acp, it has been able to track now for the past 2 hours.

I do have one final issue and that is the plate solving, i solve the plates but always by the online thing all sky solve. The pictures i take are 10 sec raw monochrome binned 2. ( i have been trying different formats and times but acp automatic switches to raw monochrome, but using only 10 sec i get it sky solved ) when trying to solve firstly i always get the same error:

** Failed to solve plate, possibly due to input plate scale being too far off.
    Start slew to offset...

How would i have to solve this problem? any ideas? would it be solved using the A2.0 and if so, how do i download and install this one. I found like cat files online but like no real explanation how to extract them and than how to combine them so it is a database pinpoint can use.

If you would be able to help me out on this one, i think i could have a try tomorrow on having a complete scheduled run tomorrow night ( i really hope so, cause i definitely need some sleep after the last 3 days.

Thanks again, your program really looks awesome when it is doing everything, i'd love to have written it myself

First check the focal length as reported in the ACP logs (following the all-sky solution). Is that close to what is set in the ACP Preferences, Telescope tab? That is what sets the plate scale estimate for solving locally.

Please reply with a complete observing log from ACP. Please attach it to your reply <-- Link to attachment instructions
    -- Bob

Hi there, the settings look ok but 60 sec is more than enough time. I have the same focal length you do and do 20 seconds binned 3x3 Can you attach a images you are trying to plate solve, it wll help if I see what it is working with

Since you are new, there is a GO advance button that will allow you to attach a file
    Dean Salman
    Deep Sky Remote Observatory

http://www.ccdimages.com
    http://www.sharplesscatalog.com

p-m 57.fts

here is a picture acp saved after plate solving it with all sky.

Is this a good picture for it? or do i have to change settings when imaging for plate solve?

Thank a lot, this is something completely new for me. And i am really in a different time zone as you are i think, during the day i never get a response and once the evening comes i get a lot of responses, so i guess now is daytime for u

hello, good morning Bob

Here i have a log from last night that had a succesfull all plate solution, however i looked through it but i could not really see what the focal lenght was on the solution, i don't see something like that stated.

My focal length by the way is 2032mm, on the other thread i just uploaded a picture that was saved as a pointing exposure after succesfull all plate solving.

This pointing exposure, i think that one is connected with the site i am working from, so i guess moving the mount will destroy this pointing learning curve?

Hope you can see in the log what i have to change. In the mean time i am seriously fast downloading the A2.0 catalog from your webserver. The nasa thing is sooooooo slooowwwww.

Thanks in advance, i am hoping that tonight i get everything to work flawlessly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

so one problem could be as odd as it is too many stars, Have you tried reducing the magnitude to like 12 and see if that helps. The web site failed to plate solve it as well.
    Dean Salman
    Deep Sky Remote Observatory

http://www.ccdimages.com
    http://www.sharplesscatalog.com

Is this correct for your scope?

02:10:35 Calculated unbinned plate scales (arcsec/pix): H = 0.44 V = 0.44
    02:10:35 Calculated field of view (arcmin): H = 37.8 V = 25.2

If so, then I think your GSC catalog will be just fine. Can you locate a couple of the pointing images from My Documents\ACP Astronomy\Images\PointingExps, zip them, and reply with them attached, please?
    -- Bob

Dean, hang on. "Too many stars" is not an issue here by a gigantic margin. PinPoint isn't like "those other solvers". It has no problems solving images with many tens of thousands of image and cat stars in the field. This is being pursued in two separate threads. I am awaiting a couple of images from him for analysis.
    -- Bob

i always have the problem it finds like 30000 stars in the picture, while for sure there are no 30000 stars in the picture, could it be because of noise?

I get this count of stars when i use the pinpoint in maxim dl and there click process, even if i use a 1 sec exposure i get this hugh amount of stars. In the log of acp however i do get a lot less stars like 300 in a 20sec exposure, but also is not able to solve it.

I will try tonight to set magnitude to 12 but i have already tried putting it to 10 and to 5 and 7 but it kept giving me this hugh amount of stars counted. Which i know is for sure incorrect.

Do you think calibration would be a solution? If so, how do i set this up? Would it be set calibration and than only load flats, bias and darks of the exposure time and binning of the pointing images? Will acp take those? and can be sure it will not try to calibrate my autoguider images or final pictures.

Maxim dl is also new to me although i am finding my way around it quite well now, but i have too little experience to know how it handles everything. I mostly select exactly what calibration frames i want it to use when i calibrate a picture and dont let it choose automatically so i can set temps as close as possible, it is more time consuming but it works well for me.

Thanks again

Thread Information