Hybrid View

Default Intalling Trial Version of Pinpoint

I am trying to install a trial version of Pinpoint so I can evaluate it with Version 4 of Focusmax. The installer gives an error message that is not able to write "visual point.exe" to C:\programs files (x86).

I have downloaded Pinpoint previously for evaluation, but not on my current computer (Windows 8.1 OS),

Thanks

Eric

Is this the current PinPoint 6.0 installer PinPoint-6.0b-setup.msi or an older version? When you run the installer do you get the "elevation" popup? If so are you answering Yes? Do you have an anti-virus program that may be getting in the way? If so stop it temporarily.

The PinPoint 6 installer definitely knows about the Windows 7/8/8.1 "User Account Control" which ordinarily forbids writing to C:\Program Files and other "system" areas. The installer does elevate to Administrator privileges so that it can do the instllation, as do virtually all other installers that are compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1.
    -- Bob

It is the current Pinpoint install, downloaded last week. There is another message during install process, that my Pinpoint LE (MaximDL) has been upgraded to full package. I turned off BitDefender, but it made no difference. It appears that everthing else was installed in Program Files (x86), except "Pinpoint Visual".

Eric

OK, if you would like I will log on nd see what's happening. It is rare we have installation problems with PinPoint. Give me some times. We are open M-F 0800-1700 MST (UTC-7). I am here most of the time but not always.
    -- Bob

OK, how do we proceed?

Tell me how to get in touch with you and when. Email rdenny@dc3.com or call here at +1 480 396 9700 and I will call you back, or leave voice mail.
    -- Bob

This turned out to be Bit Defender giving a false positive for a Trojan-xyzzy-sometingorother and prohibiting the installer from completing. In fact it prevented you from installing anything named Visual Pinpoint.exe anywhere, once it had decided that the original one was "infected". Wow.

Well I learned how find the log and then how to add an exception to Bit Defender!

He's in business now.
    -- Bob

Bob

Thanks! Outstanding support, especially since I am still only a prospective customer......

Eric

Thread Information