Hybrid View

1. Default Script Engine Load Error

Bob,

After a bad experience attempting to install the Kaspersky Security Suite on my SRO observatory machine, I am now getting the following error whenever I try to run a script from the ACP Console:

ACP script error 0x8007007E from ThinScript.ActiveScript:
    Creating the ActiveX Scripting engine failed. Scripting engine is probably not correctly registered or CLSID incorrect..

Any suggestions about how I can recover?

Thanks,
    Larry

I'm guessing that Kaspersky has somehow prohibited any Windows Scripts from running, perhaps by prohibiting the creation of any Windows Script engines. Some of the security systems I have encountered have that option. I look at Kaspersky's site and found this. I don't know if this is it but it's something to look at:

http://support.kaspersky.com/5419

Anyway my error message from ThinScript (Scripting engine is probably not correctly registered or CLSID incorrect) is a guess. The important thing is that my scripting host can't create an instance of the script engine. The engines are part of the Windows OS and are supposed to be "always there".

I hope this helps.
    -- Bob

3. Default

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out the Kaspersky install replaces the standard vbscript.dll vector in the registry with its own pointer and when the installation went bad that did not get cleaned up. Replacing the registry entry with the right pointer to vbscript.dll fixed the problem.

Larry

Ok, good to know. Suspect this if there are scripting problems in the future. ACP makes assumptions about the abilities of VBScript and JScript as they are supplied with Windows (XP/7/8).
    -- Bob

Thread Information