Hybrid View

Default Problem detecting asteroids with Visual PinPoint

I've downloaded the latest trial version (5.1) of PinPoint to see how well it works with some wide-field images (4.4deg by 4.4deg with 3.88" pixels) that I have. I'm happy to report that, on the first image set that I tried, it worked well. The plate solutions are decent. About 20,000 stars detected (down to about mag 21) and then 20 or so asteroids automagically detected on the first run (with another 10 or so manually picked). The problem arose when I went to the other image sets. I can solve the plates without any problem but, no matter what I do, I get no automatic asteroid detections. And, since there should be 20+ in each field, there's a problem somewhere. A colleague has tried with both an older version of PinPoint (v. 4.0.31) and the latest it works for him (after playing with different parameters). We're both using UCAC-2 and, even if I use the parameters that he does, I still fail to autodetect anything. One thing that I notice that seems odd is that my zeropoint is always -5.20 with the images that fail with asteroid auto-detection but about 21 with those that work. Thanks in advance for any guidance that you can provide.

I would need to test with a set of images that don't work, along with a screen shot of your Settings and Asteroid Settings windows. Also I would strongly suggest UCAC3 :-) How big are the images (disk size)?
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    I would need to test with a set of images that don't work, along with a screen shot of your Settings and Asteroid Settings windows. Also I would strongly suggest UCAC3 :-) How big are the images (disk size)?
    Thanks Bob. Much appreciated.

I can do that for you. The images are 32MB a piece. Would you like to ftp them from me?

Mike

Yes, that'll be OK. Send the details to support@dc3.com.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Yes, that'll be OK. Send the details to support@dc3.com.
    Hi Bob.

Just after creating an ftp account for you and uploading some files, I thought, 'Why not try it again?' Anyway, I went through the process a few more times and managed to get it to work. My problem may have been one of not using enough stars for the solve. I was 'only' using 500... I was certain that I had tried 0 for all before and saw it fail but, this time, it was successful (zeropoint in the 21 to 22 range). I then ran 'Find Asteroids' on the image set and automatically detected something like 42 asteroids in the frame down to about magnitude 19.5 or so. I thought that this was a good start so I'm now trying with 1000 stars in the solve on another image set. I guess that the wide-field nature of these images are such that more stars are needed for the plate solution.

Thanks and I'll let you know if this fix isn't actually 'the' fix.

Mike

OK, thanks!!! I didn't know that as I don't routinely work with very wide fields.
    -- Bob

Thread Information