Default Scheduler StartUp Script

Bob,

I'm evaluating Scheduler and I wondered if it is possible to begin the startup script earlier than 90 mins before astronomical twilight? That corresponds approximately to sunset and only a short time before starting flat acquisition. I usually turn on the observatory fans and primary mirror fans and open the dome (facing east) about an hour before sunset to get things close to ambient temperature before starting flats.

Also, I open the dome for cooling things down, but I notice in the documentation that you want the startup script to leave the dome closed for taking calibration images after a restart. I think I could work around this within the start up script, but I would need to distinguish between a "before twilight" and an "after twilight" start up. I have similar logic in my current ACP startup script that starts the cool down process an hour before sunset. Can you see any problems with this, or another way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks!

Mark Williams

Scheduler has a setting "Open time (minutes before sunset)". That sets the time at which the StartupObs script runs. It defaults to 60 minutes. If the weather is safe, Scheduler will open the dome as soon as the StartupObs script completes. I may be confused... is that what you're looking for?
    -- Bob

Thanks for the clarification, the documentation confused me wrt the time the startup script was run (says 90 mins).

Thanks for clarifying. I think this will work. But one detail: when Scheduler opens the dome after startup finishes, does it leave the scope/dome azimuth unchanged and tracking off until dusk flats or the first plan starts? I want to avoid opening the dome into the sun for safety sake, so for example my current ACP startup script slews scope/dome to 90 deg before opening when it's before sunset.

Mark

The dome will be slaved to the scope. Therefore if you move the scope to face east the dome will go there as well. Then turn the scope tracking off in your startup script. Most scopes start in a safe parking position (not facing low/west) and so most people don't worry about it. Scheduler/ACP only turns tracking on when there is work to do.
    -- Bob

Thread Information