Default Visual PinPoint: How do I send a report to the MPC?

Hi, just wondering how I send a report to the MPC after I've done the astrometry.

BTW, what does Ack Phrase and Ack Emails mean on the Asteroid Settings - is the Ack Emails the emails of people you want the report sent to?

Cheers
    John Drummond, NZ

Can someone please help - I can't seem to find the instructions on how to send a MPC report. I was hoping the support on this group would be a LOT more responsive and helpful...

John

I'm sorry, are you actually referring to Visual PinPoint? I don't think SkySolve does MPC reporting. SkySolve is a contributed third party program, and I don't think it has much activity nowadays. I didn't see this because it isn't in a section for one of our programs. I will be happy to help if it relates to Visual PinPoint (which does send MPC reports). If so, the help file that comes with it is pretty clear, you might peek at that. Nonetheless I'll help if that's what you want help on.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I mean Visual PinPoint. I've browsed the help files but can't seem to find instructions on how to send the astrometry report to the MPC. I'm new to VPP - even though I've had it for a couple of years. I've been using Astrometrica and am familiar with that - you tend to use what you know. However, I've been getting a little frustrated with how Astrometrica can't plate solve my f4.5 Newtonian with the distortions that a Paracorr coma corrector introduces. So I'm trying yours (VPP) to see if it's better and more reliable. I've got many questions - so expect a few more (where on this website shall I post them?). One important one before I send the report is - how do I know that the plate solve in VPP was correct? In Astrometrica one of two windows pop up to say if the solve was good - or not solved.

Regards
    John D, E94, NZ

OK I have moved this to the Pre-Sales section since your support subscription ran out in 2011. I'll help you on this one though. Rather than (re)write all of the info in the documentation/help for Visual PinPoint, I'll first point you to the page that has the instructions for asteroid detection and reporting. In Visual PinPoint, select the Help & Info tab. Now click on the Using Visual PinPoint link there. Once you see the PinPoint 5.0 Reference window, in the left area click Using Visual PinPoint. Scroll down until you see Asteroid Searching. Have a look at this info. The short answer is that once you have selected (or detected) all of the asteroids in a set of frames, click the Done button. If you loaded multiple sets of frames repeat for each. When you have "done" it for all frame sets, the MPC report will magically appear in a Notepad document.
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob. Okay, so that would explain the blank Notepad pages that pop up after I've done the astrometry that say 'Cannot find the page C:\Program Files (x86)\PinPoint\Find.text file. Do you want to create a new one?' When I say yes, it just turns into a blank Notepad page called 'Untitled Notepad'... I've filled in the VPP MPC settings though. Any ideas? BTW, how much for a subscription?

Cheers
    John

Ah, yes. YOu are on Windows 7 and the increased security prohibits writing into C:\Program Files (x86)\PinPoint. You can relax the security on that folder. Locate in Windows Explorer, right-click, Properties, Security tab. Click Edit and find yourself in the list. Check (enable) Full Control. Then OK your way out of that. Now test it.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob. I just tried this security change but it keeps coming up with a blank Notepad page (named 'Find - Notepad') when I click on 'Done' (after clicking on the comet and then clicking on 'Accept' and then 'Report'). I can't see the report for the MPC anywhere...

John

I am shutting down for the weekend, and will be back in my Monday morning (your Tuesday afternoon, you'e in New Zealand, right?). I'll have to do it for you then. Call me at +1 480 396 9700 after 1500 UTC and I'll call you back.
    -- Bob

Thread Information