Hybrid View

Default Maximum pixel scale in PinPoint?

I am trying to solve fisheye images of the whole sky. Pixel scale is about 600 arc seconds per pixel. Pin Point returns an error "pixel scale out of range" when I try to enter that. I am using the ARC projection, stars to 8th magnitude. Can I change the max pixel scale?
    National Park Service Night Sky Program
    760-872-5044

I've tried to support this in PinPoint and failed repeatedly. The design and algorithms just don't support it. I apologize. It was never a design goal :-(
    -- Bob

Is the problem the pixel scale or the fisheye projection? I'm thinking there might be a workaround if it is only the pixel scale.
    760-872-5044

It has been years, but the problem was the distortion removal and projection code I believe. That is an awesome photo by the way. Are you under an arch?
    -- Bob

OK, thanks. Do you know of astrometric software that will work in the Lambert Azimuthal equal area projection? I think that is the closest to the fisheye lens result. The image was taken under Rainbow Bridge, Utah. it is a mosaic of 45 images, not a single fisheye lens image.
    760-872-5044

I'm sorry but I don't know of one. I note that at least one all-sky camera seems to be able to detect and display an overlay of the "bright" stars.

http://www.alcor-system.com/us/AllSk...A_cameras.html
    -- Bob

Do you know Becky Mills at NPS? I just got a note with an extensive proposal for an NPS observatory in Great Basin National Park. She's looking for support from within NPS. I dropped your name in my response to her.

Having flown by Wheeler Peak many times, I think that would be an
    -- Bob

I've heard about it, but not seen the proposal. I think it is a 1 meter class telescope, open for public outreach, Great Basin Foundation providing most of the funding, I believe. Great Basin N.P. is one of the finest skies in the lower 48 as far as lack of light pollution. We have taken data on Mt. Washington, about 4 miles south of Wheeler Peak, nearly 12,000 feet elev.
    Thanks for your replies, there are at least two European companies building all-sky cameras with automated astrometric solutions and stellar aperture photometry to determine atmospheric extinction. Our system has been working fine with the 50mm lens using ACP and PinPoint, we were thinking of trying a fisheye and keeping the same data pipeline. I think both companies wrote custom applications to find the stars. Not all that hard if you are dealing with mag 6 and brighter only, I would imagine, once the zenith pixel address, rotation, horizons, and distortion coefficients are determined on the image and don't change from frame to frame. We were looking for a more universal solution.
    760-872-5044

Wait a minute... did you say you are measuring atmospheric extinction with that 50mm lens??? Also can you point me to the European systems that do that? Does that Alcor one measure extinction? I am DYING to find a way to use that as input to ACP Scheduler's "sky quality" control.
    -- Bob

Thread Information