Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rcos tcc

Hybrid View

Default Rcos tcc

I was curious to know if anyone who has an RCOS scope with TCC has been able to get it to run on a 64 bit system? If not, what os are you using?
    Matt Russell

Hi Matt, I am in the process of doing what you are wanting, working on setting up an RCOS with TCC and am forced (for lack of a better word) to run it on a Windows 8 OS. It seems you can't buy anything else, meh. I also tested it on a Windows 7 OS. There are two key things to know.
    1. You must run the program as administrater (open the TCC control panel software by right clicking on it, and selecting "Run as administrator"
    2. You must do the above once per computer power on, and will notice that the program does nothing. Run it again in the same fashion and it works frotheon flawlessly. I do not know why you have to prime the pump first, but the idea was given to me by a guy in Philedelphia at Swarthmore College who was upgrading their computer system from earlier Windows OS and was nice enough to document the painful process he went through to get his stuff to work. Reading his document saved me an enormous amount of time; google Swarthmore, observatory, and search for the document. If you are trying to run TCC on a new computer, it is a must read. I am in The Denver airport, but will be able to help more tomorrow if these hints are not clear. I can send you a copy of the document when I get home if need be.

cheers,
    Glenn

Thanks Glen. I actually went ahead and had a pc built with Windows 7 32 bit. It works just fine.
    Matt Russell

The bitness may not be the issue, rather it may be that UAC is interfering. This is very old software (pre-dates UAC) and RC is no longer around.
    -- Bob

Matt, I am glad it is working fine. Can I use you as moral support as I go throught the same process? I am about 90% complete with integrating a 20" RCOS using TCC -> The Sky -> Maxim DL -> ACP. Most everything is working, but I have a few bugs to iron out and could use advice from someone with a similar setup. Are you using the TCC-I or TCC-II? What are your thoughts on upgrading to the new/replacement TIM module from RCOS (because as Bob mentioned, support for the TCC line is not available from RCOS anymore)?

Watch it, the TIM software has some quirks that you will have to deal with if you try to write a startup script. If your TCC works, keep it!
    -- Bob

Hi Bob! It looks like my TCC is on its last legs and I am spending too much time nursing it back to health. Can you offer me some guidance about dealing with the start up script work-arounds for the TIM? I can see that I will need to upgrade soon, and am trying to think ahead. Any information you may have from past lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not too up on that. Adam Block of Mt. Lemmon Sky Center has a TIM and we ran into some weirdness where trying to open the mirror, and I think control the fans, while an instance of the TIM was already running, would cause a second TIM to come up and the result was a mess. If you decide to go to the TIM, and you run into issues, let me know and we'll just tackle them as best as we can.
    -- Bob

Thank you, Bob. I replaced some serial interface components in the existing TCC, and "lo- and behold!" it is working like a spring chicken again. I hope this will last for a while, but if we have to upgrade to TIM then we can cross that bridge when we get there. I really appreciate your help and especially so in the case of us beginners. Cheers, Glenn.

Ok, good!!
    -- Bob

Thread Information