Default Are there any more aviators in here?

Hey guys
    (rant rant, video in the end)

I just watched the video of Mr Denny soloing the helicopter for the first time, great job!
    I was also suprised to see him mention the schools owner, Jan Sundberg (sounds very Swedish btw) , also being a ACP customer.

I happened to grow up in a aviation-family, with my grandfather flying "undercover" ambulance plane during the nights into occupied Norway during 2nd World War, helping refugees & resistance movements (Sweden was officially neutral, but that didn't stop him)... He got his nickname "Ghostpilot", since the residents along his flightpath denied ever having seen or heard about a plane which was making unauthorized night-flights into German-occupied airspace... (he was called "Spökis" in Swedish), & also why we have ghost-logos as nose-art on every helicopter we operate.
    After the war he started our civil aviation company, both fixed wing & copters. My mom & dad took over & around the time I popped into the world they operated seaplanes bushflying-style fishing-charter in the mountains of northern Sweden. I was fortunate enough to be able to skip preschool during days my father had a seat free, so I pretty much grew up flying dual-stick in float-planes as cubs, cessnas, and the Norduyn Norseman (oh how I miss the sound of the 9piston radial engine). During the 90s, the company sold the seaplanes & started to operate helicopter only, starting out with the same type of helicopter Bob Denny soloed in the video (but ours had two tanks)
    When I got old enough, I started to collect hours "officially" , and since my father (currently +30.000hrs plane/heli combined) was an instructor during those days, we made short work of the training & I picked up my commercial licence at the age of 21, starting to work full time. Now, 10 years later, I'm past 5.000hrs, & my company operates 7 helicopters:
    1 AS350 B2
    3 EC120B
    3 R-44 RII

& since I need a good nights sleep before work & clear skies are few & weeks apart, ACP + Scheduler is definately the way to go for me, running my RoR-obsy 100% automated the nights I can't babysit my scope.

Here's a video of me combining work & hobby for the first (& probably last) time, moving a public observatory-dome from a mountain top down to its new location down in the valley. I used a GoProHD helmet-camera..:
    Click link to watch video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8pSus-NNr8&hd=1

One of my closest astro-buddies also happens to be a helicopter-pilot, which made me think.... Are there any more aviators here?

Best Regards
    Jonas Grinde
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Jun 14, 2013 at 15:40. Reason: Use video link

I love this! Thank you!!!!!

Very nice work there Jonas. The closest I have come to slingin' is BEING SLINGED! I'm going to make up a video now so you can see. I took some from the Stokes litter / Baumann bag in which I was the "live load" last November. I'll post it here later after I get through today's tech support issues and some ACP 7 work.
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Jan 16, 2013 at 17:52.
    -- Bob

Here is my getting sling-ed (short hauled) by the Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Aviation Division. The guy talking in the beginning (about looking like a body bag) is the pilot in whose life we placed our hands. Bravo! - AS ALWAYS, GO HD 720P & FULL SCREEN!

-- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Here is my getting sling-ed (short hauled) by the Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Aviation Division. The guy talking in the beginning (about looking like a body bag) is the pilot in whose life we placed our hands. Bravo! - AS ALWAYS, GO HD 720P & FULL SCREEN!

Woaa, that's some nerve chilling footage, creds for stepping up & getting yourself hauled voluntarily!! How did it feel to be back on solid ground?
    Of course I'm careful when slinging equipment for hundreds of thousands, but human lives, that's something I'd be very reluctant to try.

Btw, does the DC-3 in DC-3 Dreams have something to do with the lovely aeroplane?

Fellow aviator here Jonas... Please don't laugh at me though as I am fixed wing.. LOL!! B-737 and SA227.. That's a cool image of your helmet and helo in the background and an awesome story about your family history! And Bob sure has a lot of fun working for Sheriff Joe!!
    Ken Tydeck
    Mesa, AZ.

TOA-130
    Canon T2i
    A-P 1200GTO
    ZS66
    SBIG STi Guider

Ken is also a neighbor and friend!!
    -- Bob

I took this from the Sheriff's Bell 407 late in the afternoon. This is the area in which I worked on the ground with the Sheriff's Office for 8 years, before moving to the Lower Salt River. The first lake you see is Bartlett Lake, followed by Horseshoe Lake far to the North and the Verde river leading into Bartlett. I saw a view like this 40 years ago coming from Los Angeles, CA to Tucson, AZ on the Papago Indian Reservation from my old 1949 Beech Bonanza. It was this view that burned the Sonoran Desert into my heart and mind for LIFE. At 3:45 to 4:15 the white areas you see are indeed snow. STOP, GO FULL SCREEN AND USE THE LITTLE GEAR ICON TO GO HD!!! IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
    -- Bob

Thread Information