Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three utilities

Hybrid View

Default Three utilities

Here are three utility tools I've written that you can install into your ACP by following the instructions contained in each zip file.

CatalogView.zip - This is most flexible, giving you the choice of catalogs and coordinates. This will display a 30'x30' star chart constructed from the catalog you select at the RA/Dec location you specify.

WherePoint.zip - This will display a 30'x30' star chart constructed from the catalog you've selected in the ACP Preferences/PinPoint tab, at the location the telescope reports it is aiming at. If the telescope is not connected, a default RA=0, Dec=0 location is used.

Horizon Profile - This reads the observer's horizon grid values stored by ACP and displays an "all-sky" (Mercator-like) view showing which parts are unobservable because of the observer's limiting horizon.

To build these into ACP, you will need to use the authoring environment to create several new items (aka tiddlers).

If you've already installed the mathSVGPlugin, you will need to reinstall the mathSVGPlugin - there was a software error in it that caused images rendered in Firefox v17 to be clipped on the right and bottom edges.

Let me know if you have any trouble.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'

BUMP! Ths is great. Thanks Dick!!!
    -- Bob

Hi Dick...When you say -> "To build these into ACP, you will need to use the authoring environment to create several new items (aka tiddlers", does that mean I need special software ?
    "Focus...Focus...Focus"

Hi Frank,

No you don't need special software - it's all built into ACP. In the left sidebar "Main Menu", open the Toolbox. At the bottom is "Authoring System." Right-click and open that in a new tab or new window. That's the starting point. I think there are enough general directions Bob has provided that will get you going. Use the Chrome browser - Firefox may or may not save changes, probably not. Just ask if you need some help.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'

Dick I have just migrated to the Internet License and have been incorporating your 3 utilities into ACP from Dec 2012. I am a bit confused by the instructions for Wherepoint. I created the tiddler where is the telescope pointing and the star field shows up correctly without me having to create a second tiddler wherepoint info. The instructions are unclear. Can you clarify them.

Hi David,

The wherepoint info is a "slider" that opens up when you click on the "info" button in the wherepoint tiddler. If you don't create it, there's no harm - you just don't get the pop-up helper information.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'

Thanks Dick, what confused me was the instructions tell you to create the WherePoint Info tiddler and tell you to insert the text below but there is no following text. I worked out that the info text was in the separate WherePointinfo.txt file and successfully created the info element using that text, so it is all working fine. I am new to authoring and have had a few problems with things not being saved to the web UI when using Google Chrome but I have had very odd problems with IE which has served to confuse me even more at times. I have another query, when you open authoring and you follow the setup instructions in Bob's authoring roadmap it says to enter your name , user name and password. I just left that as Your name in both and just entered any old passowrd but I am not sure that is correct.

Regarding passwords and user IDs, I'm not sure it matters, actually. I just now changed my password in the right sidebar, and I found that I could still save changes anyway. If it works for you, stick with it.

Regarding browsers, I find that IE also doesn't work well; Firefox works fine if you add the TiddlyFox plugin/add-on, and Chrome seems to work all the time.

Thanks for the comment about the instructions. I will look at them again and make it better. I'll probably just replace the downloadable attachment.

The authoring environment is actually quite robust. It's one of the things that makes ACP such a wonderful software environment. As you get better and understand more about it, you can tweak your ACP environment to suit yourself. Good luck.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'

Thanks Dick, I am going to try your webcam in the web UI next. The support that Bob and you and other wizards provide is what makes ACP the software to have - much appreciated.

Dick

I have successfully created two of the three utilities. The Horizon and Telescope pointing work correctly. The Catalogue View fails with the following dialogue Box message

The path to the GSC catalogue is correct and it works correctly in telescope Pointing. I have no idea what to do being so new to scripting. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information