Default auto guider cal and setup (maxim and/or acp?)

Hello from VT-
    Just getting into the finer details at the NSO in peacham VT, seem to have robot mode working well (beta) but loosing guide stars, during some runs. Going to check focus and focal length of lodestar and main ccd chip. Is there another cal. function in ACP we could try? Chris H say there is? So just inquiring. The auto-guider image is grainy at best when picking off light from the main tele path? Thanks in advance.
    Andy M

Hi Andy,

There's a script: CalibrateGuider.vbs. If you're using an external guider, ACP will find a star to calibrate on. If using an internal guider/OAG, you'll need to center an appropriate star in the eastern sky on the guide chip, then run the script. (The amount of movement is still controlled by the settings in MaxIm.)

Good luck.

Jim

Ok Jim thanks, the guider is off axis right angle lodestar it has a mirror/prism that samples the same FOV the main chip sees. MaximDL sees it as camera 2 that where we start exposing and tracking 8 aggressiveness, and expose time of about 2 sec. Really need to clean up chip image here. So what I am hearing you say please advise- is that we find this script and launch it, - any other configs, tweaks or file pathways we need to investigate? This is exciting!!!! Thanks for getting back.

more later.
    A

Andy,

Since it's an OAG, you'll want to center the star manually (remember, the star needs to be in the Eastern sky) before running the script.

The ACP script actually calls MaxIm to run its calibration routine. So, the "cal time" settings in MaxIm are important. (Sorry, I called it move settings in my previous post.) Perhaps a quick read of the MaxIm's Calibration Help file will provide a bit more info.

Other than the above, there should be no other setup before running the script.

Jim

If you have a rotator, be certain to select OAG in the Rotator Controller and also look under the Rotator Control topic of ACP Help and scroll down to the section Guide Sensor Angle (Rotator Controller). Get that right or you'll have problems that will drive you crazy. The lodestar could have been put into the OAG tube at what angle???
    -- Bob

Thread Information