Hybrid View

Default Planner Timing Questions

Bob: Once I get the autofocuser working (hopefully first-thing this evening), I want to send a script to ACP through the browser as follows:

1) Open dome
    2) Chill camera
    3) Begin observing object 1 at XX:XX time
    4) Add objects 2-10
    5) Shut down at end of run
    6) Let's assume I'm not using Scheduler yet. I'm not planning to look at Scheduler until I get comfortable with ACP and Planner.

In preferences, I've unchecked to box "Disable timing features." I see how to startup and shutdown, and set the timing for each object.

Here's my question. If you are imaging 10 objects (for purposes of this test, 120 seconds each, B&W), do you need to add a start time for each of those objects? Or, if you set the time for the first object, do you need start times for those objects, or will they just run after the first object has been completed?

Thanks,

Rob

With the timing features enabled, Planner will jump time and put #waitfor directives into your plan. You just let it do that, and the waits will be for the end of the previous target taking into consideration the timing overhead times in your preferences. Try it and look at the results.

PS: I default Planner to timing features OFF because when I first released it, many people told me that Planner was too complicated. So I defaulted the timing features to off and re-did the videos to remove the timing feature parts. This was a big disappointment to me, but it sure reduced the frustrations of users, who seemed not to be able to get it. Without the timing features they have to start the run when they want the run to start, and start the observatory up earlier themselves.
    -- Bob

Bob: I created a simple plan to observe 6 objects. (It was very easy and took about 2 minutes.) I noticed that ACP Planner automatically calculates the start time at the end of the previous object. I also see the "waituntil" commands that the plan generated. But what happens if the times don't work out. For example, what happens if the previous object gets done sooner (does ACP wait until the time for the next object to start the following object?) and/or if the plan starts running behind and the previous object is late, making the following 5 objects late? Will they just run, even if they're running behind schedule? I'm planning to try this tonight, if the autofocuser is working with the adjustments that I made today. As for the timing element, that's the whole point of ACP, I think. Best, R

If an object finishes early, ACP will wait on the next one until the #waitfor time. If the object finishes late (after the #waitfor time) it will just start the next one right away.
    -- Bob

Bob- That makes sense. Can't wait to try it! R

Thread Information