Default Feature request - manuals as .pdfs

Bob,

Your documentation in ACP, Planner and Scheduler are industry leading. However, all that hard work is limited to us using the on-line help when logged into the observatory computer upon which these apps are installed. (with the possible exception of ACP's on-line help courtesy of Dick Berg).

I wonder if you've ever considered making the documentation available off-line - via a .pdf, or even web based - that would allow reading when we're not at the observatory. This is particularly relevant with Scheduler. I've not been able to find its documentation anywhere other than on the computer upon which it is installed. In my case this is a remote observatory, so not always easy to access.

Paul

I have tried several CHM to PDF converters and they were all horrible. There's no way I can reformat and manually convert from CHM to PDF, it would require a converter. Far far too much work, both at the beginning and ongoing. ACP Help is available for download, and is even made available as downloadable files through the ACP web user interface in the Files area. But it is CHM (Windows Help) so can't easily be read on some other platforms. At least the iPad and iPhone have really good CHM reader called CHM HD. I will make Scheduler help downloadable though.

http://gemini.dc3.com:8472/Gemini/De...spx?p=22&i=807
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob. Having Scheduler Help as a download will be very useful. Thanks for the iPad app link too.

Paul

I've tried several times to download the help files for ACP and for Scheduler. But everytime I unzip them and try to run them, all that shows up is the outline of the contents on the left side of the window. The main window where text should appear just says: Navigation to the webpage was canceled. Retype the address.

Hi Richard,

I think this will be the answer to your problem: http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php...file#post39559

Reply back if not.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Default Unblock works (sort of)

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Berg View Post
    Hi Richard,

I think this will be the answer to your problem: http://forums.dc3.com/showthread.php...file#post39559

Reply back if not.
    That worked, except it is very sensitive to where the files are located. When I tried to move the unblocked files to a different directory, it stopped working. A small matter, but very strange.

I suppose you should move the .zip file to where you want it to be, then unblock it... Glad it is working for you, though.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

I wish I could bypass this with some sort of "magic cookie". Any file that you download, and which is executable, will give that warning. Unfortunately, the interaction with Windows Help si the "navigation failure" that looks like the document is broken.
    -- Bob

Thread Information