Threaded View

Default "Crab Nebula," the Movie

With such an intriguing title as that, you're probably expecting some feature-length, full color, hi-def movie of the Crab expanding, or something. Sorry to disappoint you.

Last night I took images of the Crab for fun, without realizing that the asteroid 3724 Annenskij was moving through the field. It's a little past opposition and retrograding, at a distance of about 160 million miles, and visual magnitude 15.3, according to the Minor Planet Center.

I put together an animated .gif showing this swiftly moving asteroid. I spent considerable time fussing with each image to get the nebula to have the same surface brightness in each image. That came out pretty well, but along the way somehow the overall brightness was reduced considerably. The .jpg image shows the stack of the eight images.

The animation runs slightly less than two seconds. Needless to say, if I had known the asteroid was there before I started, I would have made a feature-length movie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Thread Information