Thread: Hurricane Irene

Hybrid View

Default Hurricane Irene

May all the folks on these boards in the path of Irene be safe. I hope you and your families fare well through the storm and once we are safe, let mother nature be kind to our observatories.

Ted
    West Milford NJ

Well, here we go again. Im north jersey and so far lucky with low winds and rain at the noon time. I've put about two dozen c-clamps/ pipe clamps inside the roll off roof hoping to keep it down. Never been exposed to 60+ mph winds here as they are predicting gusts of.
    Ted

Good luck, Ted. I'm in DC and it's blowing about 30 mph. We've had an inch-and-a-half of rain so far. This is the good part. It's supposed to get up to 70 mph tonight, with rain continuing, up to 10 inches. The big issue is going to be loss of power. I haven't done anything special for my roll-off roof. It's been through 60 mph winds already - the derecho of June 29. I hope you're in a high spot so you don't have to worry about flooding. Hang in there.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Hi Dick, I'm in the northern part of Jersey, and live on a hill so the water is not a concern but the wind could be. This area is supposed to get 3-5 inches of rain so I'm not too worried about that. I built the roll off about 8 years ago and this is the second time we had to worry about high sustained winds. After the last one I purchased a portable (they call it portable but I can roll it about 20 feet from the garage) 17,000 watt generator with a patch panel to keep the essentials running ( well water pump, furnace etc) in the house.
    Be safe
    Ted

Well we made it through the hurricane. Still have no power. The observatory held up fine. No damage to the house either. I guess in the big scheme of things worrying about the observatory doesnt compare with the total destruction many have had around the state. Best to all.

Ted --

I'm glad a tree didn't take out your place or something. Thanks for the status update!
    -- Bob

Thread Information