Default RCOS TCC not working Win7 64

Hi:

Just built a new PC and am unable to get the RCOS TCC (II) to connect. No help at all on the RCOS forum. I have the same setup on another PC and it works fine with the SAME OS, the SAME versions of the TCC SW, but now I get an "Unable to open RCOS Com object" message when I try to start the TCC SW (the SW fails to start). No hardware changes to the TCC have been made and the Edgeport it connects through is working fine with the Paramount and the roof controls.

Also FYI, RCOS TCC does not show up as a choice in any of the ASCOM programs. Probably but not definitely related. Sounds like it did not install correctly but I used the same files and procedure (at least as far as I can remember from the older PC).

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Bill McLaughlin; Jul 23, 2011 at 14:04.
    Bill McLaughlin

For every complex problem there is an answer
    that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

My Website: Nightskypictures

My Observatory: Raptor Ridge

OK, fixed this as well. Found an obscure reference on the RCOS forum. FYI, once you install the TCC SW and update the "RCOS-ae.exe" file, you need to double click
    on that file (which appears to have no effect) and then start the program as usual with the "RCOS TCC.exe".

This does not appear to be in the documentation as far as I can see. Very odd. The problem is that the TCC I and TCC II are now poorly supported. RCOS has moved on to their "Telescope Interface Module (TIM)" I wonder how long it will be before a yet newer OS breaks the old TCCs totally, forcing us to spend $2450 to get a new system?
    Bill McLaughlin

For every complex problem there is an answer
    that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

My Website: Nightskypictures

My Observatory: Raptor Ridge

Yeah, this is definitely obscure. The hot fix installers all have an option "Register RCOS PIR Rotator for ASCOM" which does what their software should do :-) The TIM looks like a substantial improvement, new software team and new hardware.
    -- Bob

Default RCOS Rotator

Over the past few runs I have noticed that ACP is no longer waiting for my RCOS Rotator (controlled by TCC II) to finish before proceeding with the pointing exposure. The result is an image with circular star trails! Very amusing, but not what I was looking for. Anybody else see this problem?

Paul

If it "just started happening" then it's almost certainly a hardware failure of some sort. If the rotator has a rotation sensor, that's likely what has quit working, resulting in client programs like ACP seeing "not rotating" whether it is rotating or not.
    -- Bob

Default Mr

Thanks Bob,

ACP does command the rotator to the correct PA and that PA is achieved, however the rotator is still in motion during the pointing exposure. This never used to be the case. However I have not played with it enough to say whether this new issue is intermittent or repeatable.

The hardware seems to be ok since I can connect to the rotator directly with the RCOS provided program, and actuate the rotator in both directions and get what seems to be good telemetry coming back and being displayed in the RCOS TCC GUI, indicating that the hardware may be ok. I am going to try some different scripts and see what happens under ACP.

Best,

Paul

Thanks,

Paul

Well, software doesn't rust out, so something changed. You'll be able to tell what's going on if you modify AcquireSupport temporarily to trace. At about line 5407 (search for Sub WaitForRotator), add the yellow lines:

Code:
    Sub WaitForRotator()
        Dim wasMoving

If Not c_haveRotator Then Exit Sub
        Util.Console.PrintLine "## Called with Moving = " & ROT.Moving
        If ROT.Moving Then
            wasMoving = True
            Util.Console.PrintLine "  (wait for rotator)"
        Else
            wasMoving = False
        End If
        Do While ROT.Moving
            Util.Console.PrintLine "## Waiting for rotator to stop"
            Util.WaitForMilliseconds 1000
        Loop
        If wasMoving Then Util.Console.PrintLine "  (rotation complete)"

End Sub
    -- Bob

Bob - do you have a batch file to register the RCOS TCC1 PIR that you could give me?
    I'm trying to help somebody out, and the rotator is not showing up, and this fix would help us solve it.
    Thanks
    Colin

I do! For years I installed this as part of the ACP installer. "Do you have an RCOS PIR Rotator?" Enclosed in the attached zipfile are two registry import files, one for Windows 32-bit and the other for Windows 64 bit. Depending on the bit-ness of the system into which you are installing, use one or the other. Double click the file, answer yes to the elevation and "are you sure" popups and after that the PIR should show up in the ASCOM Chooser.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -- Bob

Thanks! You're my hero!

Thread Information