Default 32 bit file and pinpoint

I am evaluating pinpoint.

I have found that my raw image will get plate solved easily.

However, after I have calibrated it and aligned it with other images, and it has been
    saved in 32 bit floating point format, it will no longer plate solve.

I think the complete calibration process requires a larger than 16 bit file format.

How can we handle this? Will pin point handle 32 bit signed integer?

Arthur Sweeney

It should solve the 32-bit floating point image. Please zip the combined and calibrated image and attach it to your reply here.
    -- Bob

Default Ziped images

Hello,

Attached are the images. The calibrated image was created
    with AIP4Win.

Arthur
    Attached Files Attached Files

Arthur --

OK, I tested and found, like you, that the calibrated/stacked one won't solve. If I save that one as 16-bit int (it has the same range 0-60000) then it solves. I'm unsure why. I will have to open a ticket on this one because it will require some deeper analysis.

Meanwhile, assuming you are using Visual PinPoint, if you change the Centroid Method from Synth Aperture to Use SExtractor, and reduce the Sigma tto 2, it will solve the 32-bit float image fine. Something is going on with my Synth Aperture detector... it's weird, I've not had a report like that. I've opened a ticket to fix this in a future release:

http://gemini.dc3.com:8472/Gemini/De...spx?p=20&i=660
    -- Bob

Default temp workaround

Bob,

Thanks for the quick workaround.

Our research will require us to use scripting. Is it possible to do Sextractor from
    a script?

For the time being I will calibrate to 16 bit files, and use them to develope the
    detailed scripts we need. ( probably using Gaussian).

Please let me know when the 32 bit issue gets solved.

Thanks
    Arthur

Arthur --

Yes, PinPoint's usage of SExtractor is transparent. All you have to do is set Plate.UseSExtractor to True and adjust Plate.SigmaAboveMean accordingly. See the PinPoint reference for scripting info. There is a LOT there, including a large set of mapped properties that correcpond to FITS fields. You should not directly write to FITS when there is a PinPoint mapped property available.
    -- Bob

Thread Information