Hybrid View

Default Focusmax 'Not Installed' in Autofocus Preferences

Hello all,

I'm in the process of getting ACP up and running, and already have FocusMax/Maxim working nicely with my LX200/ST-7/RoboFocus.

I have FocusMax v.3.6.2 installed, and everything looks fine when I run the 'Getting Started' FocusMax software check.

In the Autofocus tab of ACP Preferences, however, all of the text is grey and the top line says "FocusMax is not installed" (in grey). I can't select any of the FocusMax-related check-boxes.

Please tell me - what am I missing?

Thanks,

Simon.

Did you mean 3.6.12 (the current version)? If so then that part is OK. Try this: Find the FocusMax.exe executable under Program Files (x86 if 64-bit), right-click, Run as Administrator. Do this once. Now does ACP see it?
    -- Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, of course; I'm meant 3.6.12.

I've tried running FocusMax.exe as Administrator, but ACP still doesn't see FM, I'm afraid.

I'm completely, utterly stumped. What exactly does ACP look for to confirm that FocusMax is installed? It seems really strange that the Help file 'Software Check' sees FocusMax OK, but not ACP itself.

I'd be very grateful for more suggestions....

Thanks,

Simon.

Somehow, FocusMax's Focuser object is not registered with ASCOM. This is really strange, as FocusMax depends on this for its operation.

Open the ASCOM Profile Explorer (Windows Start menu, ASCOM Platform, Tools), expand the Focuser Drivers section. Do you see a FocusMax.Focuser listed? See the attached screen shot (partial pic of the Profile Explorer window).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Bob

Bob,

I've checked in ASCOM Explorer, and FocusMax.Focuser is there under 'Focus Drivers', and it's populated with 'FocusMax Focuser Hub' in the first line, and other relevant data below, including:

MyFocuserID = Robofocus.Server
    MyglbTelescopeID = ACP.Telescope

I have had one thought, though. When I installed ACP, the ACP Telescope Hub wasn't visible in the ASCOM chooser within FocusMax, so I had to manually add the ACP.Telescope key within ASCOM explorer. Could the two issues be related?

My thanks again,

Simon.

Well, I'm stumped. ACP is looking for FocusMax.Focuser (the name in the left hand "tree" area). If it's there, I can't imagine why ACP is not seeing it if the Profile Explorer (which uses the same system services!!) is seeing it. I'll have to log into your system to see it for myself and try to solve it.

Please give me a call at +1 480 396 9700 to set up an online appointment.
    -- Bob

ARGH!!! PoleAlignMax hijacked the ASCOM Helper, replacing it with an old one which uses the old registry storage scheme, effectively hiding all of the ASCOM devices. I had to repair his system by hand, complicated by the fact that the PAM installer wakes up and re-installs the old/incompatible helper again!! He was OK with uninstalling PAM completely until this issue is addressed by the PAM developers.
    -- Bob

Thanks for your help, Bob. It took about an hour to fix, so thanks for your time. Hearing you scream 'Aye Carumba!' as the PAM installer launched on opening ACP was certainly the highlight!

All now appears to be good with ACP / FocusMax, although inevitably I'll have cloudy skies for the next fortnight now....

Ha ha ha, a typical reaction to that sort of ---- :-)
    -- Bob

Thread Information