Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default System Swap Utility

OK, here is my first attempt at a script to save and restore system configurations in ACP.

The idea is that I have several "systems", which are combinations of Maxim/FocusMax/ACP settings. For example, I have

- Production system (Tak Sky90, SBig camera, LazyFocus Focuser) for wide field imaging.

- second Production system (Canon camera, C11 OTA, Optec focuser) for narrow field imaging.

- Guide Focusing system - the Guide camera is set up as the main imager, so I can run FocusMax for the guide camera.

- Simulator system - everything is running simulators.

Previously, switching among the setups resulted in lots of settings changes in ACP, Maxim, and FocusMax. Then, I forget what I changed when I go back.

Now, I save the system settings for each configuration. Then, I can quickly restore the desired system when I need to switch over.

The script and documentation can be downloaded from the attached file.

The little writeup also describes installation - there are a couple of settings you may need to change in the top of the script.

Note - when a system is restored, ACP is exited, so you will need to restart ACP. This allows ACP to pick up its registry changes.

See what you think!

brew
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Robert Brewington; Oct 7, 2013 at 05:27. Reason: Attach file instead of download from site
    Robert Brewington
    ACP 8.1 / Win 10 64bit
    Tak FSQ106, Paramount MX Mount
    SBig ST2000XM, STF8300M/STi

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Great Idea!!!
    -- Bob

Brew,

I ran this (local mode) and it went to completion without a problem. Even though I don't have a number of alternative configurations (well, I guess two: real and simulator), I think it's great to have a way to back up these values. It's insurance when one messes around.

Thanks - I'll add a pointer to the ACP Reference Guide, too.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Brew --

Without looking (sorry, limited time) does it save/resore the config files like FilterInfo.txt, RotatorInfo.txt, maybe the active pointing model Active.clb? Not trying to make more work for you, but raising issues that may affect your own config switching.
    -- Bob

Default Saving/Restoring Files

It does save some of these config files. It does FilterInfo.txt, the Active pointing model, at least one more of them (AutoFlat config, I think). I kind of looked at them and tried to decide whether they made sense.

Also, when it restores it will delete an existing file before restoring, This accounts for System 1 having a FilterInfo.txt and System 2 not having one...

It doesn't do Rotator, since I don't have one and don't know what it would be. Prob makes sense to do that one. Is there something for these AO units as well? I also don't know about them... These are easy to add.

I did not back up things like image file name config, log file name config, etc. I would think those types of things would be the same across an installation, but I could be wrong. Would certainly be easy to add.

Oh - I also do not back up driver values (for example, the settings within the simulator drivers). This could be an issue if someone was running multiple simulator systems, but I wouldn't think that would be typical. The only driver settings I do are FocusMax, since they are stored in the Ascom Profile.

I assume people may come up with various other things I have missed. I made screen images of before and after systems and tried to verify everything changed appropriately, but Murphy says I will miss something
    Robert Brewington
    ACP 8.1 / Win 10 64bit

Wow, you've thought it through quite nicely. Congratulations!!!
    -- Bob

Default Version 1.1.0

I made a couple of changes to the script:

1) It now backs up / restores RotatorConfig.txt of it finds one.

2) There is now a file yourSystemName.txt that can hold values describing the system.

3) You save/restore systems using a File Dialog box rather than having to type in the name.

4) There is a file 000LastLoaded.txt that contains the name of the last system loaded. Sometimes I forget which system I have loaded now

Same link to download documentation / script:
    http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/...ubpage=1398614

brew
    Robert Brewington
    ACP 8.1 / Win 10 64bit

Default Great idea

Does it compatible with WIN7?
    My acp.exe and "webdocs" are on different drives (C/D), will I need to modify your script for optimal results?

Thanks!

Default Win7

It definitely runs on Win7 - I am running on Win7 64 bit.

Haven't tried on XP - I expect it should run fine.

I do expect ACP 6. Should work on ACP 5, but there could be a minor issue or two. For example, I check for a couple of things in the registry; I imagine most of the registry settings are the same, but there could be something different.

By default, the script uses the WEBDOC location. You should be able to modify a value in the top of the script to use a different location. Being on different drives should make no difference.
    Robert Brewington
    ACP 8.1 / Win 10 64bit

Default :)

Wonderful, thanks!

Thread Information