Default Microsoft Script Debugger - Office 2007

I am interested in getting the Microsoft Debugger going so I can think about starting a couple of scripts.

I found Dick's excellent Technical Addendum web page stuff, which has a description of how to install the debugger. Unfortunately, I can't get past step 1 - install the debugger.

I have Microsoft Office 2007. I have done several installs trying to get the debugger installed - the installer thinks it is installed. However, I can't find a file like MSExx.exe on the disk. I kind of think it should be MSE10.exe, but don't see it. The Office programs themselves (Word, Excel, ...) run fine. I also installed a scripting package under Outlook, although I did not install Outlook itself.

I do find a MSE10.hcx, but Windows doesn't know what to do with it.

Does anyone know what the file should be, and how to get it installed?
    Robert Brewington
    ACP 8.1 / Win 10 64bit
    Tak FSQ106, Paramount MX Mount
    SBig ST2000XM, STF8300M/STi

Hi Brew,

Bob needs to weigh in here about whether there is an alternate debugger that runs on Win7 and can connect to ACP.

I need to remove the reference to MSE/2007 in the Reference Guide - those instructions were put there long ago, and there is no MSE in the 2007/2010 environment.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

Hi Brew

I use Visual Studio (2010) for most of my debugging (very expensive if you don't already have it).
    However, I think Bob uses PrimalScript for a lot of his script-based work. I also use it and found it very useful for debugging ACP scriptable COM components (.wsc files).
    You can get a 45-day trial if you want to try it out: http://www.primaltools.com/products/...p=PrimalScript

I've personally never used the old Microsoft script debugger and I'm not sure it's been updated for a while.

Bob may be able to suggest some equivalent that's free.

Russ
    Russell Archer
    LX200 ACF 12in, SXVR-H9, SX AO-LF, SX Lodestar, SX FW

There is indeed a script debugger in Office 2007. Don't know about 2010. If you look in ACP Help (for V6 and probably some later 5.1 Hot Fixes), Scripting Guide, The MS Office Script Debugger, you'll see the instructions.

Do NOT Google and find the ancient horrible MS Script Debugger. If you install that you're cooked, and I'm unsure how you get rid of it from the Machine Debug Manager's list of debuggers. It's truly bad news, from late 1990's. PrimalScript is great but it's builtin debugger is useless outside PrimalScript. The real Office or Visual Studio debuggers are terrific. The Visual Studio one is king. It's also described in the ACP Help in its own section.

Visual Studio 2010 is just fine for script debugging. When you get an error or hit a debug break (debugger; in JS) you should see it ask to debug with VS2010. If not, obey the instructions in ACP Help, Scripting Guide, The Visual Studio .NET Debugger to turn on Just In Time debugging.

Note this also works when debugging Javascript in the Internet Explorer browser. You will NOT BELIEVE what you have in Locals and Autos when you break into VS from a browser JS debug break or error. Of course you can break into VBS or JS in ACP's Active Server Page script (server-side),not just scripts running in ACP's console, or under the OS's runner cscript/wscript.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Bob

Default Found one

OK, I found one. It wasn't there after installing Office 2010,, but I subsequently installed Visual Studio Express (Basic and Web Developer) and somewhere in there the MSE7 showed up.

Works OK. The Immediate window doesn't seem to work - whatever I type says "No expression". Otherwise I can get what I need done.

It works when I run it directly; I can't seem to get the Visual interface to work, but that's fine.

Thanks!
    Robert Brewington
    ACP 8.1 / Win 10 64bit
    Tak FSQ106, Paramount MX Mount
    SBig ST2000XM, STF8300M/STi

That $%^&* bug appeared in Office 2007. Everyone gets it. You can, however, hover the mouse over variables and get their values. Also, look at Autos and Locals and you can expand the trees of objects etc. It's still pretty useful.

To get the Just In Time working you need to find that option in the debugger's setup, probably in an advanced setup area. I am not familiar with the debugger in VS Express, so you'll have to look. The full VS 2008 and VS2010 have a 100% great script debugger.
    -- Bob

Thread Information