Hybrid View

I live in Massachusettes; Observatory in New Mexico

Default Time synch and Dimension 4

I happen to reboot my observatory PC this morning and discovered that Dimension 4 - my long time clock synchronization software - failed to start. It seems the flip to 2011 has broken this great freeware. The program has not been updated for many years and it seems the developer has moved on to other things. What do folks use for this task? I run XP.

Hi George,

I've been using "AboutTime" for a number of years. It's as old as the hills, but still works for me (still running XP on observatory computer).

Jim

My Dimension 4 is working fine. When you say "failed to start" can you be a bit more specific? Coincidentally I just rebooted one of my systems that use D4, and it came up as usual. XP/32.
    -- Bob

I should have said "Failed to show" It does show up in the task manager. But not in the status bar. I'm in the habit of looking at its status log every couple of days or so. I have no way of knowing if its actually correcting the clock.

Ah, maybe a Win7 thing? Have you looked in the little hidden area for task tray items? Or right click on an empty area of the taskbar, select Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window that appears, Taskbar tab, Notification area, click Customize... That will open a window with all the doodads that use the system tray. Is D4 in the list? Start it up and try looking again. If it's there you can tell Win7 to always show it.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm running XP at NMS.

..geo

Oh. Well I looked at your site and sure enough it starts and immediately exits. I played with it till I ran out of time and couldn't get it to stay running. ?????
    -- Bob

Ah well, I switched to About Time. It seems to be working. It's even older than D4!

Thanks for taking a look.

..geo

What ever gremlin was involved got bored and went elsewhere 'cause when I booted the system a few days ago up popped Dimension 4 and its been running fine!

..geo

Thread Information