Default Problems with Planner

I am going through the frustration of learning ACP Planner.

I watched all the videos.

I set it up, correctly I think.

I put in the imaging plan, a simple RGB.

It seemed to buy it, saying all the right things, including that it would start imaging at 10:30 local time (which is in West Australia).

But all it did was shut down at 10:30, saying that the target wasn't high enough.

I need to be able to go to bed, telling it to start sometime later, and have it start, not turn off. If the target's not high enough, I need for it to wait for the target to be high enough.

How to do this?

Arggghhh.....

Mark

Hi Mark,

One of the things that will help us diagnose problems is to post your log files. Then, we can see exactly what the error message was, where it occurred, etc.

If ACP is saying the target isn't high enough, that points to ACP's setup for the horizon limit. Check under ACP Preferences, Telescope, Min Elevation. If, at 10:30 your imaging target was below this threshold, that target will fail and ACP will move on to the next target.

From a practical standpoint, even though I've got a few trees that cause problems, I choose to set the minimum horizon limit pretty low (20 degrees), so it never gets in the way of my imaging. However, it does mean I need to think a little when I'm picking targets and when I want them to start. Since I only do "pretty picture" imaging, I usually only image targets when they're within 2 or 3 hours of the meridian, so the horizon limit never comes into play.

I need to be able to go to bed, telling it to start sometime later, and have it start, not turn off. If the target's not high enough, I need for it to wait for the target to be high enough.
    I've been imaging in a totally automated way for 6 or 7 years now with ACP. There is a bit of a learning curve, but only because it can do a lot of things. Once you get it goiing, you'll love it!!

Regards,

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

The log folder contains no log of the termination of the session; there is a log for the script being entered at 4:34 pm West Australia time, but nothing after that. The error message on the ACP interface at the server said the target isn't high enough, and terminated the session at the same time as it started, at 10:30 pm local time.

I have absolutely no idea how to figure out when a target is high enough, other than spending a bunch of time with trigonometry that I would rather not do. Is there no way to just tell it to start imaging when the target is at a certain altitude?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't do anything tricky at all to figure that out. If you're using SNP (that's what I use) or TheSky, it's pretty easy to just check the transit time for that object. Since the earth turns at 15 degrees per hour, I won't start imaging that target until it's no more than 3 hours before it transits. So, 90 - (3x15) = 45 degrees above the horizon. That takes care of RA. For DEC, I just add my latitude (41) to the DEC value and make sure that's also above the horizon limit. I'm not sure I can think upsidedown since the scope is "down under," but the same principles should apply.

With respect to the log, there should be something there. At the very least, it should give the basic observatory statistics, setup parameters, when the log was started, then what happened. I'm guessing that you might be looking in the wrong place?

I hope this helps.

Jim

Thread Information