Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem training pointing corrector

Hi,

I tried to run the "Train Corrector" script last night nad something went terribly wrong. It got to point 18 of 30 and could not plate solve from that point on. It finally aborted. After it aborted the pointing was completely hosed up. I pointed to Jupiter and it was 5-10 degrees off. It took the better part of an hour to nudge the scope to point to Jupiter so I could re-sync the scope.

I have attached the log file so perhaps someon can see something to indicate what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is that the "Min Elevation" setting was zero so it may have slewed too low and tried to plate solve the wall of my observatory. I have since set that to 20 degrees. I would like to run the Train Correctory script but am hesitant until I figure out what went wrong. Does the Train Corrector script honor the "Min Elevation" setting in the telescope preferences?

Thanks,

Bernard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bernard, with an Astro Physics mount, just forget about the pointing corrector and Consistent Approach (if you have that turned on). The AP should point really well on its own if you have it mechanically set up, polar aligned, and PEC set.

With that said, the training run looks strange. It's almost as though something is loose. The pointing is not converging like it should.

Turn off the pointing corrector, then set your horizon in ACP to something like 30 deg, and run the TestPointing script with say 30 points. That will tell you how your mount is. Let us know the results. There are a bunch of AP owners here who should be able to tell from that if your mount is running well.
    -- Bob

Bob,

It lloks to me like it is converging right up to point 12 and then it goes south. Like ai said I had the min evelavation set to 0 so I am thnining it tried to take an image of my observatory wall and got messed up. I take it from your reply that it does repect the min elevation setting when doing the point correction run.

Thanks,

Bernard

Bernard,

Whenever pointing on my AP mount isn't excellent, it's almost always due to some mechanical issue. I'd suggest checking the set screws on the spur gears. If they get loose, it can cause the kind of problem you're seeing.

Also, don't use ACP's consistent approach. AP mounts already do that built into the AP firmware.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McMillan; Nov 1, 2010 at 16:46.

I take it from your reply that it does repect the min elevation setting when doing the point correction run.
    Yes, that's correct.
    -- Bob

Jim,

I am not using ACP's consistent apporach. As to adjusting the "set screws on the spur gears" I am afraid I do not know what that means or how to do it. Are there instructions or an app note anywhere?

Thanks,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I suggest you contact AP directly. They'll walk you through what you need to do. Here's a link that, while showing how to remove backlash, shows the spur gears. You should be able to see if there's any play in those gears by moving them by hand.

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.h...t/tech_support

Follow this link: Adjustments to Remove Worm Gear Backlash on 1200GTO Mounts Equipped with Spring-Loaded Action Brackets

I hope that helps.

Jim

I've tried to run the train corrector but it would point outside of my defined imaging zone which in my case is quite small due to lots of trees. Am I missing something or is there a way to just put in a defined number of points but it stays in my tight zone?

In ACP Preferences, Observatory tab, there is a "horizon" graph. Draw in your horizon limits to match the obstructions at your observatory. Then TrainCorrector will stay within that area.

In the ACP Add-Ons forum, there is an article about a horizon editor that Jorg Hanisch made. Unfortunately it won't run if you don't have some Microsoft controls installed on your system. I can't get it to start with only the msflxgrd file, it seems to need another that no one can find. I assume that Jorg will respond with an installer or a complete kit.
    -- Bob

Hmm. That's not been my experience so far but I'll try it again.

Thread Information