Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Yes, the drive must be calibrated looking east. That's how the ReverseY and SwapAxes switches will get set. David said ACP is always picking the wrong polarity for ReverseX, so my "solution" is to simply reverse the polarities picked by ACP for that switch. As I mentioned above, in the case of no rotator, only ReverseX is manipulated by ACP like it is for a conventional guider.

With a rotator, no manual drive calibration is needed because ACP has control over the camera orientation with respect to the sky. Without a rotator, the drive calibration is needed to set all three bump switches as they need to be given the rotation angle of the camera (which ACP dpes not measure in this case). Then looking west, the ReverseX is flipped. But ACP doesn't know what the ReverseX was to start with and makes a unilateral decision, which for David is backwards. So I asked him to try telling ACP to do it backwards from what it would normally do. My theory is that David has his camera mounted upside down, with a sky PA closer to 180. Calibrating facing east will set the two switches that ACP does not manipulate to the correct values for his camera angle, then the reversal of the ReverseX setting chosen by ACP will be reversed by the logic change I suggested for the test. Yeah, what I just said is a brain teaser!

David, as Jim said in a previous message, you need to calibrate the drive while looking east in addition to making the (second) code change I described. I'm sorry not to have made this clear in my previous post.

PS: Thanks to Jim McMillan for the call this morning. We're on the same page.
    Last edited by Bob Denny; Sep 3, 2010 at 17:56. Reason: postscript
    -- Bob

Hi

Many thanks for all the posts and information - still working through it all. Looks to have been very busy here !

I have lost my clear skies... but.... have tried the following which now seems to work.

My A0-7 is calibrated on the East side of meridian (not sure in my set-up why this would be a factor) and with that the Xnudge box is ticked in Maxim after a calibration there.

I made the change

Camera.GuiderReverseX = Not Util.GEMWestOfPier ' Reverse X if west

suggested by Bob, and the good news is that this box is now not being unset when i kick off the autoguider which suggest this would now work.

So I see this would get me going though as you say there is a question as to why it was being set that way.

Many thanks

David

OK, David, good news!! Thanks for letting us know.

Now another question: Is it possible that your camera is mounted upside down? Check the SBIG docs and the pix therein.
    -- Bob

Hi

i have managed to check the SBIG documentation and it doesnt say it has to be mounted in a certain position - it just says that it is preferable to align axes so they coincide with RA and Dec axes.

Thanks David

There's a simple test: If you take an image then nudge a bit + in declination, do the stars appear to move down in the image?

No big deal for now, you're running. I think you'll find that the limitations of internal guiding without rotating will be enough to push you toward an external guider or a rotator.
    -- Bob

Thread Information