Default Planner vs Scheduler

Bob:

What will can ACP do using the planner but not the scheduler ?

Can I still run rtml xml to it and does it run in a degraded fashion or does it only run he text version of the planner ?

I'd love to buy the planner but it's too expensive for me to talk myself into at the moment.

But I'm really thinking of it.

Any pointer to documentation on this ?

Larry

I'm thinking I'm getting enough information on this by just looking around.
    Larry

You may have planner and scheduler backwards. Planner is free, Scheduler is not. The quick explanation about Scheduler is that it takes away the "when" of planning. You do not have to tell it when to do anything, just what. Planner, on the other hand, is all about when... you have to order and time your observations in the ACP Plan. Planner's timing visualization features (in combination with Starry Night or TheSky) can help, but it also confuses some people. I tried to make it as clear as possible, including doing videos, but it is complicated at first.
    -- Bob

Bob:

I understand.
    I was really planner centric and hating it !!!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Lopez View Post
    Bob:

I understand.
    I was really planner centric and hating it !!!
    Larry,

Do you still dislike Planner? If so, why? How does it not meet your needs?

I've never used Scheduler, but I like Planner a lot. Maybe I'm overly-compulsive, but I want to know exactly how an imaging session will run before the fact.

My observatory is surrounded by trees, so imaging time is limited (about 4 hours max on a high-dec target; less for lower targets). Consequently, if I'm going after, say, an LRGB image, I want to be sure I'll get sufficient data on each filter in the available time (I might run the plan again on subsequent nights to collect more data). Planner lets me do this.

I can see how Scheduler could be useful for imaging a multitude of targets, such as for photometry. Is that what you do?

I wrote a program called Planalyzer http://astronomy.mdodd.com/planalyzer.html to read an ACP plan and show the duration and ending time of each event (e.g., filter change with number of exposures, autofocus, dark frames). Planalyzer can evenly-spread the number of exposures in the events to fit a specified time frame. For me, these features overcome the biggest drawback on an ACP plan -- looking at a plan in Notepad, there's no easy way to know how long it will run, or how to edit it if it's too long.

Planalyzer also can analyze an ACP log so you can see how long it really takes to do a meridian flip or autofocus, or download an image from the camera. Then you can set these Planner preferences accurately so Planner and Planalyzer have good data (Planalzer reads Planner's preferences file and uses those values in its time calculations).

Planalyzer is free. Give it a try if you think it might make using Planner more appealing.

Mike

Michael:

I've downloaded it.
    I'll take a look at it.

Larry

It's really cool!!! It has its own Planalyzer section here on the Comm Center.
    -- Bob

Thread Information