Threaded View

Default UTF vs ANSI vs ISO

Hi,

I am wondering if I can get me a little help with understanding .html file formating.

I've recently had a problem with character interpretation when browsing to my online www.brightskies.us web page. None of the "special" (ie 16-bit) characters are interpreted correctly. I don't know what's happened, because this was not a problem in past months.

What's funny is that when I open a copy of my index.html file from the desktop, there's no problem at all, but when that same file is opened from the (Verizon) web server, there's a problem.

See the attached Image#1 for the view of the desktop file in three browsers.

See the attached Image#2 for the view of the website file. It's the same file in all cases.

Pay attention to the Latitude, Longitude and Copyright area...

Here's also the first few text lines of the index.html file (although you can view the source from the website URL).

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
      <title>Bright Skies Observatory</title>
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="#303060">

etc.
    This may relate to sometimes but not always seeing funny characters in the web view of ACP's console window - those capital-A's with the caret above them, followed by the right character.

The encoding (from browser view menu) seen by the browser is all "UTF-8" which really surprises me, since that's not the meta-command. This must be the problem, because if I change the browser encoding to "western.." or "ISO-..." then the screens are all okay. But I can't seem to get the browser to respond automatically. What's funny is that when I open a copy of my index.html file from the desktop, there's no problem at all, but when that same file is opened from the (Verizon) web server, there's a problem.

Does anyone know what's going on, and can anyone give me some direction here, please?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XMEv
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    FOV ~15’ x 10’

Thread Information