Question What level of MaximDL?

I will be aquiring ACP soon. But, I want to get MaximDL first. I know I need the MaximDSLR level at least. I have researched this level or the Pro level. My question is, should I think about the Pro level? I have looked at the comparision charts and I believe I don't really need the extra features of the Pro. I will be using Canon DSLRs. I would like to hear from anyone who is using a DSLR, if they feel the Pro is important. Thanks for your comments.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

You may have looked at the MaxIm website describing the various levels of capabilities each version of MaxIm has:

http://www.cyanogen.com/maxim_matrix.php

I think there are only a few things that you should reflect on in choosing between the DSLR and Pro versions. One is the instrumentation control. If you anticipate ever in the future using a different camera, or an AO device, or a filter wheel, you'll need the Pro version to manage those added capabilties. And then, if you plan on using MaxIm's image adjustments, all of the capabilities shown in the Process, Filter and Color Menus part of the MaxIm matrix are unavailable in the DSLR version. If you have another image processing software package, then you could be very satisfied having the DSLR version of MaxIm.

FWIW
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

Email

I am also unsure of the "scriptability" of DSLR. Diffraction is closed for another week+, so I can't ask on your behalf. I don't want to have to support differing levels of MaxIm scriptability, and indeed I may not be able to use some subset. So this is a potential risk. What percentage of your total observatory cost is the difference in cost between MaxIm "full" and DSLR?

-- Bob
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob, for your reply. I see the need for scriptability. I have spent some time looking into Maxim Pro and Pro Suite. The only difference is MaxPoint. Upon reviewing the details of MaxPoint and ACP, it appears that both do the same thing. Is this true? Both contain PinPoint Astrometric Engine. ACP learns to make the mount more accurate as it operates.
    It really doesn't come down to cost. The issue is more about feature duplication. Having said that, does not mean I have infinite resources ($$$$). The $100 extra for Pro Suite could be spent for other things. Please understand, I'm not complaining, just trying to avoid unnessesary expenditures. Thanks again for the input.

Glenn

Email

I was confused - I thought you were comparing DSLR against CCD. I believe Pro is CCD combined with MaxPoint. If you use ACP you don't need MaxPoint, though it can be useful for analyzing ACP pointing corrector models since they are compatible with MaxPoint models. ACP, by technology exchange agreement, cannot offer pointing model analysis features. Bottom line is that you almost certainly need MaxIm DL/CCD only.

-- Bob

You said:
    Thanks Bob, for your reply. I see the need for scriptability. I have spent some time looking into Maxim Pro and Pro Suite. The only difference is MaxPoint. Upon reviewing the details of MaxPoint and ACP, it appears that both do the same thing. Is this true? Both contain PinPoint Astrometric Engine. ACP learns to make the mount more accurate as it operates.
    It really doesn't come down to cost. The issue is more about feature duplication. Having said that, does not mean I have infinite resources ($$$$). The $100 extra for Pro Suite could be spent for other things. Please understand, I'm not complaining, just trying to avoid unnessesary expenditures. Thanks again for the input.

Glenn

-- Bob

I assume that MaximDL V5 is ok to use then? The downloads page still says v4.60

4.60 is OK, as is 5.03/5.04/5.05
    -- Bob

Thread Information