Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Virgil, NY
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Hi Mike,

    I've been experimenting with this, too. Here's another small question I have. See the attached .png file. This is a retrospective review of my plan - I did not use Planalyzer to set it up "properly." Only after the fact have I adjusted the properties so that Planalyzer hits the actual times on the nose.

    There are only two plan targets, and you see them both in the PlanPad. I70 images of EQ Tau ran past the planned start time for AH Gem, so the "Wait until 02:30 UTC" is orange. I guess this is supposed to indicate that I have to reduce the number of images of EQ Tau in order to start AH Gem on time. Planalyze then starts AH Gem according to the plan time, not according to the actual clock time, which would have been about 9:45 pm EST.

    Why does Planalyzer show the second target starting fifteen minute earlier than the actual time?

    As I mentioned above, I used the actual run time to adjust the planner properties, mostly the Image download time. 170 images of EQ Tau actually took almost exactly 180 minutes. (You could make the count box a little wider.)

    This is a nice tool!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Berg View Post
    Hi Mike,

    I've been experimenting with this, too. Here's another small question I have. See the attached .png file. This is a retrospective review of my plan - I did not use Planalyzer to set it up "properly." Only after the fact have I adjusted the properties so that Planalyzer hits the actual times on the nose.

    There are only two plan targets, and you see them both in the PlanPad. I70 images of EQ Tau ran past the planned start time for AH Gem, so the "Wait until 02:30 UTC" is orange. I guess this is supposed to indicate that I have to reduce the number of images of EQ Tau in order to start AH Gem on time. Planalyze then starts AH Gem according to the plan time, not according to the actual clock time, which would have been about 9:45 pm EST.

    Why does Planalyzer show the second target starting fifteen minute earlier than the actual time?
    As explained in the Help document, "... If you change the duration of any target ahead of a #WAITUNTIL directive, the times of the subsequent events will not change unless you edit the #WAITUNTIL directive time or delete that directive entirely."

    Planalyzer respects the plan's #WAITUNTIL directives. To change the start time in the exposure list would be misleading -- you might think the plan is okay when, in fact, you're drawing that conclusion from incorrect data.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Berg View Post
    As I mentioned above, I used the actual run time to adjust the planner properties, mostly the Image download time. 170 images of EQ Tau actually took almost exactly 180 minutes. (You could make the count box a little wider.)
    This is a nice tool!
    The latest version has a wider Count field. Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like the program.

    Mike

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Berg View Post
    ...images of EQ Tau ran past the planned start time for AH Gem, so the "Wait until 02:30 UTC" is orange. I guess this is supposed to indicate that I have to reduce the number of images of EQ Tau in order to start AH Gem on time.
    I forgot to answer this question.... As the Help document says, "To alert you to an overlap or wasteful idle time, Planalyzer colors a Wait until event orange if it begins more than 15 minutes before or after the preceding event's end time." So the orange color tells you that the previous target extends 15 or more minutes into the #WAITUNTIL time.

    Mike

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Virgil, NY
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Thanks, Mike, for the info. I guess I should read the help file through!!
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dodd View Post
    Planalyzer respects the plan's #WAITUNTIL directives. To change the start time in the exposure list would be misleading -- you might think the plan is okay when, in fact, you're drawing that conclusion from incorrect data.
    I changed this behavior. Now Planalyzer does shift the WAITUNTIL time forward (but not backward) if the preceding event ends later than a subsequent #WAITUNTIL directive time. This reflects ACP's practice of starting a plan immediately if the specified time has passed. So if a plan has a #WAITUNTIL 06:42 directive and Planalyzer calculates the previous event's end time to 06:53, Planalyzer shifts the WAITUNTIL event's start/end time to 06:53 and colors it orange. The clock shows pushed-ahead time. The event name retains the plan's #WAITUNTIL directive time for easy reference when editing the plan.

    A WAITUNTIL event still is colored orange if it occurs 15 or more minutes after the previous event's end time, to alert you to wasted idle time.

    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Dodd; Jan 9, 2009 at 05:22.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Goian, Northern Spain
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Mike,

    Damn useful bit of software, it is nice to have the extra visual checks the
    planalyzer has those clocks are great!

    Thanks

    Neil C

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    28,681

    Email

    Yeah Mike, I'll add to Neil's kudos! I love it!!!!!!
    -- Bob

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LaBelle, Florida, USA
    Posts
    63

    Default Plan Analyzer

    Mike,

    Thank you. Sometimes, I make the Easy seem so hard and the Analyzer shows me step-by-step where I guessed incorrectly.
    "Focus...Focus...Focus"

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mraz View Post
    Mike,

    Thank you. Sometimes, I make the Easy seem so hard and the Analyzer shows me step-by-step where I guessed incorrectly.
    Thanks, Frank. I was wondering if anyone uses Planalyzer, since it's been pretty quiet here. I found it very helpful a couple of nights ago (first clear skies since April).

    Mike

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    28,681

    Default

    Quiet is good - "No news is good news" when it comes to software
    -- Bob

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •