Threaded View

Bob - I don't have a dome or roof controller. The Hyperion is a controller that talks to the focuser and other controls on the scope (e.g., fans, heaters). I am not familiar with the cp210x drivers, but it is possible that is what the Hyperion is using. I'll check with Starizona to see if that is the case. I'm less sure what to do about trying to fix the issue. But is seems to be getting worse. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Thanks, Mike

I stopped by Starizona and talked with Dean (the owner). He thinks it is a software issue. He suggested I download and install the lastest version of ASCOM, which I have done. His experience is that ASCOM sometimes gets messed up when Windows does an update at that reinstalling ASCOM often times clears up the issue. He also thinks there may be some traffic issues with my computer that might cause the issue, although as I have thought about that, ACP has dropped out when nothing is happening, it's just sitting there like yesterday afternoon when I fired everything up and left it sitting from about 3:30 to 5:30 with the telescope parked and nothing was happening with any of the sub-systems. ACP still crapped out. So, the traffic issue may not really be the problem.
    Dean also suggested that I reinstall ACP, but I'm less sure about that.
    I'm going to plug everything in and get things running as I did yesterday and let it sit for a while to see what happens. Maybe the new ASCOM install will fix the problem, whatever it is. It's great having you and Dean basically pointing fingers at each other. It doesn't really help me get this resolved. As I have pointed out when this happens ACP shows the connection to the rotator, which goes through the Hyperion server, is still active (green light on the dashboard) whereas all the information that comes from the mount, presumably via APCC, is gone from the ACP dashboard and when it really craps out is tells me via a dialog box that it has lost connection with the mount and when I click the OK button in that dialog box ACP shuts itself off.
    I know it is contrary to the information that shows up in the log, blaming the Hyperion server, but from my perspective based on what I see on the screen it is a loss of connection with the mount that occurs. I really don't understand what ACP does and does not do. You claim that ACP doesn't "talk" to the mount, yet the information from the mount shows up in ACP when I connect ACP to the telescope, so I guess I simply don't understand the distinction. The fact that ACP still has the rotator connection active seems to indicate that it is still in communication with the Hyperion server that it is citing as the offending issue.
    I don't get it and it is very frustrating.
    I'll let you know what happens with the new version of ASCOM. Fingers crossed?!?
    Mike
    Last edited by K Michael McDowell; Dec 1, 2022 at 22:52.

Thread Information