Hybrid View

Default Updating all my Software

Hi Bob,

I am resurrecting my observatory after 10 years and still have my old software and associated licenses. Current ASCOM release, ACP6 (Web), MaxIm DL 5 Pro, Pinpoint 6 and FocusMax 3.4 All seem to install and run without obvious issues (with the exception of FocusMax) on my Windows 10 Laptop. I am using a 14" Meade LX200GPS 14" (Autostar II) circa 1990's and purchased new early 2000's, an SBIG STL1001E primary camera but my Starlight Xpress MX716 (Guider) is USB 1 and no longer supported by Windows (technically it can be made to work but I have to throw Windows into Test Mode to install the drivers and think that's likely to cause too many problems downstream).
    Initial tests show that the Telescope connects (haven't tried the focuser), slews, tracks and parks and the camera fires up, cools down and images are triggered appropriately. Pinpoint works and platesolves every old image I have thrown at it. I have a ZWO ASI120mm guide scope coming to fill the void left by the MX716.
    Is there any pressing need for me to update any of the software (other than FocusMax)? Obviously I will upgrade in due course but just trying to keep my startup costs to a minimum as I will also need to purchase and build a new observatory and purchase a new laptop (Windows 11 likely to give me any issues??)!

Cheers

David

Strictly speaking, my software ACP 6 might run on Windows 10 and 11, but I can’t support it. ACP 6 is 11 years old, and pre-dates Windows 10 by 4 years, Windows 11 by 12 years. Since I don’t have a crystal ball to see the future :-) I can’t say whether it will be 100% functional or not. Also if you update FocusMax, will my 11 year old logic work with that? Also, our policy is not to offer upgrade pricing past 5 years out of date so if you want support and current software, you’ll need to get a brand new license. I hope you can continue to get use from ACP. You might want to look at less expensive alternates if they can meet your needs. I apologize for seeming so harsh, I hope you understand.
    -- Bob

Thread Information