Thread: Windows Updates

Default Windows Updates

HI,

This is just an observation... it has taken me years to put this together (and likely this is already known).
    If there is a Windows Update *waiting* to be installed with the OS giving reminder messages that are ignored-
    ACP Shutdown sequences are at risk. Typically a message like this follows:

Logging to C:\Users\Pomenis\Documents\ACP Astronomy\Logs\20210416\20210417@105801.log
    Initializing AcquireSupport V8.1.1
    User actions detected.
    >> NOTE: User actions for optional Alt-Az targeting are in effect.
    Telescope is ACP->Driver for telescope connected through TheSky
    There was a problem initializing the support library:
    The telescope is not connected.

This has happened across all computers I have used and also regardless of whether there are useractions in play or not.
    This also occurs regardless of what driver ACP is talking to. (This would occur on the Schulman Telescope with its custom
    ASCOM (LCOGT) driver).

Its the weirdest thing. Solution, of course, install the updates/reboot the computer.
    I do not think there is a computer uptime (counter) issue- but maybe uptime *and* updates are both necessary to trigger this.

A minor thing...but it just happened to me last night ( I ignored the Window's update and said remind me later... and ta da... no shutdown at request.)

-adam

Interesting...

so this happened during the course of the evening? What do you mean "shutdown"? Whatever ACP observing plan is about to be run, this is a startup problem for that Plan. It has no idea (yet) that the Plan contains a #shutdown request. (I am guessing here, based on the "shutdown" that you mention). ACP is functional at this point, but it discovers that TheSky has disconnected the Paramount and so cannot proceed.

> no shutdown at request

I am not sure I understand... sorry Adam :-(
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Interesting...

so this happened during the course of the evening? What do you mean "shutdown"? Whatever ACP observing plan is about to be run, this is a startup problem for that Plan. It has no idea (yet) that the Plan contains a #shutdown request. (I am guessing here, based on the "shutdown" that you mention). ACP is functional at this point, but it discovers that TheSky has disconnected the Paramount and so cannot proceed.

> no shutdown at request

I am not sure I understand... sorry Adam :-(
    I will do more research on this next time there is an update. They are rare... which is why it is taking me a long time to
    figure this out. Normal #shutdowns obviously warm the camera, park the telescope...etc. But... when there is a pending
    Windows update- this doesn't happen. Next time... I will record the specific set of events. Please file this away as
    virtual rumor and likely my error until I can get more info.
    -adam

Ha ha OK, but truly... thanks for raising it!! I'll move it to the Windows 7 & 10 Operating System & Update Issues section.
    -- Bob

Thread Information