Default Chaos!!!.....yet,

Dogs are barking, workmen are coming and going, phones are ringing.....there's complete pandemonium at my house.

YET, during all this, Bob Denny is on speaker phone with me and controlling my "in observatory" computer remotely and he spends 1 1/2 hours checking and changing everything to make sure the setup is perfect.

I don't how he does it.

Thank you, Bob!!!!!!

You're most welcome!!

Please save the ACP Profile and and MaxIm Configuration. Give them names you'll remember. "Right After Bob Denny" or "Simulating April 21" or whatever. I meant to do this before dropping off yesterday.

I still want to know what the deal is with the simulated starfields on your 4k x 4k 3 deg FOV camera. I plan to set myself up for a wide field large format like you have. I am concerned that PinPoint's synthesize star field feature is screwing up under those conditions. Since I am wrapping up PinPoint 7, this would be something I'd want to catch! What is the focal length you have set in ACP's Telescope tab? I'm working on the ATLAS catalog right now but the image synth is next.
    -- Bob

Good suggestion on saving the Config you set. I'll do that but ACP is currently running some "day time" plans as we speak. When complete I'll save the Config.

The FL is set at 780. And for what it's worth the ACP Log reads, "True focal length is 780.1 mm" and "True binned plate scales (arcsec/pix): H = 2.38 V = 2.38", so nothing got lost in translation.

OK, this is good info. I'm going to set my system up to match and see if I can reproduce the problem here. That was the Guide Star Catalog if I remember (after we hit the catalog star limit running the A2.0). I'm trying to get PinPoint 7 out for beta and I have just two things left, this is one I need look at.
    -- Bob

I did it and it's solving here fine. Also the simulated image is fine. I can't say why it wasn't solving there on the simulated images :-(

Plate-solve final image
    4262 image stars found
    11568 catalog stars found
    Solved! 268 stars matched.
    Average residual is 1.01 arcsec.
    Pointing error is 0.039 arcmin @ angle 211.34
    True focal length is 780.0 mm.
    True binned plate scales (arcsec/pix): H = 2.38 V = 2.38

True image center (J2000): 01h 34m 55.9s 45° 12' 31.98"
    Imager sky position angle is 0.0 deg.
    (turning tracking off for safety)

I looked at that thumbnail and thought it was "salt and pepper noise" but it was late in the day I guess. With the 3 deg field, it is just a hell of a lot of stars.

You should be able to turn final image plate Solving (General tab) back on.
    -- Bob

Thanks again. Helpful and good to know. You're right that at first glance it dose look like S&P / noise.

I did do a quick review of the star field synthesis code, and I think it is good even with large fields.
    -- Bob

Thread Information