Hybrid View

Default Starting to use ACP agin..

Hi, I use to use ACP along time ago, so I am thinking I need to upgrade to ACP 8.3 and perhaps Scheduler as well. Please remind me why I need Maxim DL? I now use TheSkyX for everything and currently CCDAP. I am planning to move my observatory about 300 miles from me and CCDAP may not be up to the task. My mount is a SB Paramount ME.

Thanks

Blaine

Hello Blaine --

MaxIm DL is used by ACP to provide access to cameras and their filter wheels, as well as guiding. Even after all of these years, the camera makers haven't adopted the universal ASCOM interfaces. PHD is a great guiding tool but so is MaxIm. Of course older cameras like pre-Diffraction SBIG units won't ever have ASCOM access. CCDAP uses proprietary connectivity to TheSky or MaxIm for camera control. ACP uses proprietary connectivity only to to MaxIm for camera control. If you are interested in why we don't also support TheSky for camera control I'd be happy to discuss it offline but in the end it's not that important. We use MaxIm for Camera, Guiding, and filters.

What I'm more interested in is what you want to accomplish. I'd be happy to talk to you by phone or video call and go over your requirements. I want happy customers!!
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Hello Blaine --

MaxIm DL is used by ACP to provide access to cameras and their filter wheels, as well as guiding. Even after all of these years, the camera makers haven't adopted the universal ASCOM interfaces. PHD is a great guiding tool but so is MaxIm. Of course older cameras like pre-Diffraction SBIG units won't ever have ASCOM access. CCDAP uses proprietary connectivity to TheSky or MaxIm for camera control. ACP uses proprietary connectivity only to to MaxIm for camera control. If you are interested in why we don't also support TheSky for camera control I'd be happy to discuss it offline but in the end it's not that important. We use MaxIm for Camera, Guiding, and filters.

What I'm more interested in is what you want to accomplish. I'd be happy to talk to you by phone or video call and go over your requirements. I want happy customers!!
    Thanks for reply, I am starting to look around to replace my SBIG STL 11000 CCD with CMOS, and noticed that there is a lack of "common" drivers by some (maybe all) of the vendors. Also I am trying to find a dome vendor with good automation...The list goes on... Oh well, the roads to the site will not be done till June.
    Once I decide on a camera vendor I'll check back in.

Blaine

Ok, the CMOS camera needs to be compatible with MaxIm or it must support ASCOM Camera (which is automatically compatible with MaxIm). As for I'm glad to hear you're looking at a dome or clamshell. Rolloff roofs, especially the dangerous low-clearance ones, aren't suitable for remote imaging.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob - I am also coming imaging after a while away mostly doing visual only (mainly because my mount, scope and seeing conditions combined were just not suitable for imaging). I have just invested in a whole new set up for my observatory - more expensive mount with encoders, a couple of new APO's and new cameras that will start me off on mono imaging with filters.
    I am at somewhat of a decision point on software - mount is yet to arrive and one of my scopes is still en route.
    I have the full MaximDL sofwtare suite (pro) and also the full suite of TheSkyX (imaging components).

I am basically trying to make a choice between TheSkyX/Voyager and ACP/MaximDL. Honestly I already am hedging towards ACP because of the fantastic support I remember from these boards when getting to grips with the ACP trial, even as a Pinpoint only license holder. I am not asking for a rationale on why I should use ACP (I remember how much I loved it from the trial), however I did want to ask about focusing. Would I still need FocusMax? Or will MaximDL's autofocus routine work with ACP. I don't know why but I could never get to grips with FocusMax.

John

You do still need FocusMax, sorry. I would trial all of the software you're looking at and then decide. If you have specific questions I'm happy to answer, but I don;'t want to say anything negative bout other software. You might want to start by using MaxIm by itself with its sequence automation, then try TheSky by itself with its features. You'll know a lot more after working with those two packages that you already own licenses for.
    -- Bob

You do still need FocusMax, sorry. I would trial all of the software you're looking at and then decide. If you have specific questions I'm happy to answer, but I don;'t want to say anything negative bout other software. You might want to start by using MaxIm by itself with its sequence automation, then try TheSky by itself with its features. You'll know a lot more after working with those two packages that you already own licenses for.
    OK, thanks. I do also own a copy of FocusMax v4, but honestly, have always struggled with setting it up correctly and it runs really slow on my workstation computer (xeon), so I dread to think what it is going to be like on my mini pc. I'll test out the combinations.
    Thanks Bob
    John

Check with Steve Brady for help with slow. FocusMax takes some time to achieve a focus (probably not related to CPU speed but maybe to insufficient RAM!), but its results are top notch.
    -- Bob

Check with Steve Brady for help with slow. FocusMax takes some time to achieve a focus (probably not related to CPU speed but maybe to insufficient RAM!), but its results are top notch.
    Going through the steps now. Relearning.

I managed to get the simulated v curve done in focus max.
    I am going through the ACP getting started process step by step so I can use the simulator properly.
    Thanks
    John

Thread Information