Default Microsoft update problem -warning= Dome Controller Stopped Working

I run ACP controlling Astrometric DomePro4 on Win 7 computer on two scopes. I ran both scopes on 1/4/2021 and the plans completed correctly. On the start of the run on both scopes on 1/5/2021, ACP could not get the dome to move. ACP could not sync the dome to the scope. Since this happened on both scopes, the only thing which changed was an antivirus on Windows Essential. I did a system restore on both scopes to 12/31/2020 and I was back in business.

I will change to a different antivirus.

Dick Post

Dick -- Thanks for the info. But what do you mean "ACP could not get the dome to move. ACP could not sync the dome to the scope"? I moved this to the Windows Update forum section but for reference and for others, what is the manifestation? An error message? If so what did it say? Or sis ACP look like it was telling the dome to move but the dome didn't really move? or ???
    -- Bob

Bob, with DomePro connected and Maestro homed, connecting Telescope on ACP does sync the dome to the scope position. after the antivirus update was done, this no long happened. ACP would be blink Dome slew, and the dome does not move. ACP also did not know the coordinates of the scope. Ruuning a plan does not change this behavior. After returning the computer to a earlier date, once I connect ACP to Telescope, the dome slews and the scope is centered on the slot.
    Dick

Ohhhhh this looks like ASCOM connectivity was affected! That sounds ugly. Let us know if you find a different AV/AM program and are able to move on.
    -- Bob

Also, best to check any anti-malware programs running (check in Task Manager to be sure). More than one anti-malware program has broken COM and socket communications on a seeming whim.
    measuring space rock rotation rates, live from Albuquerque NM

Yes. I use the simplest ... Microsoft Defender. So far I haven't been hacked nor has it killed software on my systems.
    -- Bob

Thread Information