Default Resolved - Hardware: System Not Selecting the Filter it Says it is

Hi,

I have an intermittent problem with the system using the L filter when it says it's using a different filter. It has done this with all filters.

I have been working with the folks at SBIG/Diffraction Limited, but they suggest we include you in the conversation.

It's here:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.com...er.7386/page-2

Thanks!

Mark

OK, I'll look at the thread. It would help for me to see a complete log file (attach please)for a run in which it used L instead of the selected filter.
    -- Bob

Bob,

I sent the filter wheel in to SBIG. They put it through its paces, and declared it working fine. It's now re-attached, and doing the same thing. Bill Lynch suspects a software issue. I have posted on the SBIG forum, also, on the chance that something amiss with Maxim.

Last night, having too much moon, I was imaging with the SII filter. It took three hours of images with the SII filter (ostensibly), but, in fact, the first hour was clearly using the L filter. The next two one-hour plans used the correct filter.

I have attached the run log for the plan which used the wrong filter.

Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Mark,

A couple thoughts,

- There might be a MaxIm log file located here - C:\Users\(yourusername)\Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Log - that would show whether the filter wheel moved or not.

- from your log
    02:05:14 Switching from L to SII filter for imaging
    02:05:14 Focus change of -688 steps required

Are your "SII" images sharp or out of focus? I see you didn't start with an AutoFocus run, so maybe there was a immediately prior run with "L" that produced focused images? If so, then if the focus steps changed but the filter didn't, wouldn't the new image be out of focus?
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

Dick has it right. If you look at the log, it used the L filter for the pointing update (as designed) then it switched to the SII filter

02:05:14 Focus change of -688 steps required

but apparently the filter did not change, resulting in your two 1800 sec. images being through L. Now that we know the filter wheel is working OK, then as Dick suggests the next possibility is that MaxIm shows some sort of error. Perhaps the power supply at your observatory that is for your filter wheel is soft, resulting in the wheel operating on the edge and occasionally failing to move. This would not be detected at the factory unless you sent both the wheel and the power supply in together. Another possibility is that the USB voltages are soft.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to dodge the issue. I wish it were a software problem. If it were, others would be seeing it. No one is. And the logic in ACP is so simple. The logged line "Switching from __ to __ filter for imaging" is followed immediately by the call to MaxIm to set the "to" filter. No if's or jumps or ?? So the fact that the line printed with SII as the "to" filter means that ACP definitely (100%) called MaxIm to set the filter to SII. What I can tell you is that it is 100% certain that ACP is calling MaxIm to change the filter.

As Dick suggested, see if you can find a MaxIm log covering that run (0200 - 0208 UTC). If so post (attach) it and I'll try to see if there's anything there. I am not an expert at reading MaxIm logs, but maybe something will jump out at me.
    -- Bob

Here's the Maxim log. It shows, as it always does for me, the "error in plugin callback," but the folks at SBIG don't seem to think that that's an error that causes actual problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mark, That error (in plugin callback) is six minutes later that the problem you experienced. Before and after, it moved to a number of other positions. Were those okay as far as seeming to be through the right filter?

Are these callback errors associated with the AO guiding? In your 1800 sec exposure through the wrong filter () did you notice any AO guider tracking distortions? I don't know about AO's so I'm being real dumb here.

Unfortunately, the MaxIm log doesn't log a filter rotation completion, which might tell a better story.

I don't see anything else.
    Dick
    www.VirgilObservatory.us
    Pier-mounted Meade 12-inch SCT "classic"
    w. focal reducer to f/5.3 ~ FL 1630mm
    Optec TCF-S focuser
    SBIG CFW-8A and ST7-XME
    FOV ~ 15' x 10'
    H-alpha, BVRI, RGB & Clear filters
    MaxIm and, of course, ACP!
    AAVSO Code: BRIC

Those errors don't look like they are related to filter changing but I really don't know. If I had to guess I'd say they re related to guiding, as they intermittently appear while the image is being acquired.

In any case in the MaxIm log, we see

02:05:15*4 Filter wheel moving to position 4

and in the ACP log, at the same time (~ 1 second), that ACP is calling MaxIm to change the filter

So now we know for sure that ACP has called MaxIm to change the filter. Thus this issue now becomes "MaxIm sometimes does not change the filter when it is told to do so by ACP".

I have opened a ticket on your behalf with Diffraction in order to save time and confusion. I hope this is OK. I think I am in a better position to explain the details and that's why I opened it. Please step in and take over on this. They will ask questions about your hardware and system. I won't be able to add anything.

Intermittent Filter Switch when called via API [on behalf of Mark de Regt]
    -- Bob

Ugh, this issue was already being worked on another thread on the Diffraction forum, and I got that message right after I posted the new thread for you. I linked the two, I hope they can merge them and press on. My contribution is to note that my filter change command was received and understood by MaxIm.

https://forum.diffractionlimited.com...e-3#post-41625
    -- Bob

The threads were merged into Resolved Selecting Wrong Filter. It turned out to be an electronics problem in the filter wheel. See Colin Haig's post on this.
    -- Bob

Thread Information