Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default FocusMax.focuser is not registered

Hello,

After a PC crash last night I got a problem to restart FocusMax which is crashing all the time when the focuser is connected. Focuser is fine I can connect (from properties in FM calling the driver) and move it (a special TCF-S device mounted on the secondary mirror). I think the PC crashed while doing an Autofocus.

I rebooted the PC hoping this will clean the issue but I still have the same issue, one file seems corruped or the registry.
    I have reinstalled the (very old) version of FM as it was loading without the proper setup (empty) it but did not help. We are running on that telescope a very old version of ACP (6.1 !) on windows XP ! but all is working perfectly since many many years now. Not a single bug since a very long time.. so long I do'nt remember even how to fix such a problem.

Should I reinstall the driver ?

Here attached the error and log from FM that points to a file FocusMax.focuser that I found in the ASCOM directory.

focuser_driver.png

FM_error.png

Any idea how to fix that ?

Thank you
    Emmanuel

I am guessing that your very old FocusMax isn't completely registered. What version of Windows is this? Since you said your software is so very old I need to know so I can suggest things to look aty.
    -- Bob

Hello Bob,

Yes Windows XP Profesionnal !
    and FM 3.7.0.25

I cannot find a copy of this in my backups.

thank you I prefer to wait your advice before starting to reinstall things around
    Emmanuel

Oh boy... I'm not in a good position to try to support a Windows XP system Release with very old FocusMax (which isn't even my software). First I would try to reinstall FocusMax V3. I don't have the installer. However I found this site which has the old free versions.

https://www.astronomylog.co.uk/focusmax-downloads/

With that said, I would really recommend you get your OS and software up to current.
    -- Bob

Hi Bob,

I thought FM was needed to focus with ACP ? is there an other way without using FM ?

I had no need so far to upgrade the OS as all is working really very well for all what we need to do. And I prefer to spend time on sky than fixing bugs

I tried to reinstall FM I have the old version but I continue to get the same error. The file it complains about FocusMax.focuser seems to be in an the ASCOM directory ?

maybe we can skype to talk about it ? I have planned to insall a new OS but this goes with a main mainteance misison (replacing the old computers)

cheers and thanks
    Emmanuel

The FocusMax.Focuser interface is part of the FocusMax program, and needs to be registered with the OS for ACP to see it and use it. As I recall FMx 3 lives in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\FocusMax\FocusMax.exe. I can't respond to "if it works don't fix it" other than to say I don't make a habit of breaking things when I release new versions. Rather I usually fix things. But in your case you have an old free unsupported copy of FocusMax that isn't working. I will do what I can to help you.

Find FocusMax.exe. Open a CMD shell window and CD to that folder (probably C:\Program Files (x86)\FocusMax\). Now say

C:xxxx\> FocusMax /regserver

Now try again to have ACP connect to it.
    -- Bob

Thanks Bob !

I removed and reinstalled FM that was on my system,
    I found the .exe in C/Programes Files/FocusMax/
    and I registered as you said

I started FM and then ACP (that was the order at that time
    But I do not see FM under ACP Autofocus

I connected the focuser from FM (using properties), then try to "jog"
    but I get the same error (see below) saying FocusMax.focuser not register. Should I reinstall the focuser driver ?

FM_ACP_error.png

merci
    ej

Default FocusMax.focuser is not registered

Emmanuel — I am getting to the edge of my knowledge. The FocusMax log screenshot shows the Optec focuser is connected so that is apparently OK. I also notice that it says PinPoint is not found. I also see an extremely old ASCOM Platform 5. I don’t see the Imaging SW selected to MaxIm so it looks as though FocusMax’s settings have been lost. This is getting complicated, involving extremely old software, and not ACP.

Do you perhaps have a disk-image backup with which you can go back to the state of the system before? Did you install Windows XP newly from a CD? Note that Microsoft has not supported XP for years, and probably cannot provide you with system updates to bring you to the level you had before your disk crashed.

I am sorry to say that I cannot help you much more with FocusMax 3. It too is very old and to be honest I was never very familiar with its details (like under what conditions it would generate that error). The author Steve Brady is not supporting it either.

Please consider building a new system with Windows 10 Pro, etc. If your Linux-speaking friends are telling you Windows is awful, then I really can’t help. It’s not awful but what can I say with the errors that MS made in September? It appears OK now, and has been fine for many many years before that.
    -- Bob

yes focuser seems ok, when I connect to it info are loaded in FM (like focuser position and I can move it with TCFS tool)
    All field are empty when I start FM indeed
    but them come back when I load the ini file.
    There is this "path" link that I guess should point to these settings, but I do not remember how to generate it.
    was it in the whole ACP installation process that would need to be done again ?

When I select Maxim DL I get the crash indicated here

FM_error2.png

I can install new FM4 but then I'm not sure it will work with my old ACP ?

Yes yes an upgrade is planned but we need to go on site for that (an other coputer is needed).
    Cheers
    ej

and I forgot to ask, is there a way I can use ACP without connecting to FM for the focussing ? because now this is causing ACP to fail,
    I could even observe without doing any autofocus the time to fix the issue,
    thx
    ej

Thread Information