I've seen random GEM driver crashes happen for two reasons:

1. The all-too-common USB Suspend problem from Windows 7 and 10. At least one Windows Update has overwritten many users' (correctly) chosen disabling of USB Selective Suspend to re-enable it, leading to USB crashes. The mount usually crashes first, as it polls fastest. Not sure if USB is involved in your mount setup.
  2. For mounts with fragile physical USB interfaces (like Paramount's), any nearby electrical interference can reset its USB. My own instance was caused by a thermostat 6 feet away whose contacts sent enough of an EM pulse to disrupt my previous Paramount MX+. This problem will be more common in the crowding of hosting facilities. I put ferrites at each end of each USB line to dampen common-mode noise, and that helps, but sparks from mechanical switches and relays can still do harm. Happily, I've never even once noticed such a problem from Digital Logger's web switches--good parts and metal enclosures certainly help.

Or, as you've guessed, it could be software, but the above are 2 things to check in the meantime.

Well, that's what I've seen. Best of luck with it.