Hybrid View

Default New Windows 10 computer software installation

I have bitten the bullet and will shortly take delivery of a new Windows 10 64 bit computer for the observatory, upgrading from an old, unreliable 32 bit win 7 desktop. I have read over the years of the problems people encounter with Windows 10 updates and the recent problems Bob alerted about the latest update and not installing it. I have no idea what the update status of my new machine will be.

I have become a little apprehensive about the software installation, as it is years since I have had to do an installation from scratch. Bob, is there anything I should take into account or just follow the installation instructions in ACP Help?

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Once you get Windows 10 up and running, repeatedly force it to check for updates, over and over, applying them all. To get there click the Windows Start button in the lower left corner, just start typing W I N D O W S U P D and you will see Windows Update Settings appear. Click it, and start applying updates. Apply them all through the current date. I am fairly certain that things have gone back to normal, but I am waiting for the Fall 2019 "feature update" which was released then pulled last month. Once it appears again I will test things with it and let everyone know

Thanks very much for asking.
    -- Bob

Bob

As always a quick response, much appreciated. I will do as you say re the updates, before installing anything at all. Once I have got the updates all done, do you recommend preventing any further updates so this Fall 2019 feature update doesn’t accidently get auto-updated?

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

Yes I would. I'd like the opportunity to test it first. I am trying to keep on top of it multiple times each week.
    -- Bob

Final question Bob. I have been trying to find a guaranteed way of preventing Win 10 updates but I have found it quite confusing. I recall seeing a post you made about pausing updates for a month then redoing it regularly. I haven’t been able to find it. Can you suggest the best approach?

David
    David Lawson
    Kilgour Observatory, UK

After looking around, and seeing that there are several variations of the Windows Update options, I found this.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...manage-updates
    -- Bob

Thread Information