Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Also the Scheduler seems not only to be doing the focus twice but it is also doing it after each run instead of every 3 hours which is what is in the Configuration in Scheduler and am not sure why it is doing that

Have attached the focusmax log

Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default FocusMax double run

Peter.

Comparing your ACP and FocusMax logs to mine the only two obvious differences that are present in your logs and absent from mine are:

18:25:30 Error: -2147221404 Path not found FocusMax.modFile_IO.MakeDir Dir: C:\Users\peter\Documents\FocusMax V4\Configurations\18:25:30 Could not create default ConfigurationsPath D:\peter\Documents\FocusMax V4\.
    18:25:30 Error: -2147221404 FocusMax.modFile_IO.VerifyConfigurationsPath,

which appears at the startup, and:

19:47:00 Refining telescope position (1 of 1).
    19:47:00 ...Slew offset: RA: 23:17:29.3 Dec: -28:33:58.3 (Topo).
    19:47:25 ...Telescope settle time: 5 sec.
    19:47:35 Error: aborting - could not bring final pointing to within 3 (arc-min),

which appears during every double-run of FocusMax.

Bob will have a better idea what the underlying issue might be but on the surface it appears that there is some issue with paths and/or permissions configured in FocusMax and why is the FocusMax pointing update always aborted? It seems to report this even before it has taken a confirmation exposure so this must be at the mount driver level?

Will not be the answer but the ASCOM platform has just been updated to 6.5 SP1 to fix some bugs that were affecting third party automation programs and FocusMax has just been updated to fix a bug that appeared after a change in MaxIm DL 6.20 (I think, need to check the version number), that caused some cameras to hang during download.

It doesn't appear that you have the camera issue but probably wise to update the ASCOM platform and FocusMax.

In ACP prefs, auto-focus tab, do you any of the options enabled that might conflict with, or operate in tandem with, your scheduler autofocus settings such as:

Auto-Focus if average FWHM grows by xx%..?
    Force per-filter focussing even when FileterInfo is present..?
    Force auto-focus on GEM flip?

In ACP prefs, auto-focus tab, is there anything configured differently for the FocusMax System File Path, this is normally blank unless you purposely move/install the FocusMax system files to a different directory to the default.

Can't think of anything else to suggest Peter.

William.

Thanks for all the information William

I had also conacted Steve at CCDWare and he suggested I increase the attempts at pointing update from 1 to 2 or 3 so I just changed that and as I was reading your reply I had it running with that single change and it completed successfully and didn't go on to repeat the focus which is great news!

I will have a look at those other preferences you mentioned in ACP .
    Also I my documents folder is on the D drive as you can see and in FocusMax the directory for things like Logs does go to that drive, so am unsure why it keeps bringing up the C drive. at the beginning- I cant find the setting where it says that.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Brackenridge View Post
    unsure why it keeps bringing up the C drive. at the beginning- I cant find the setting where it says that.

Peter
    Might that be the main ACP preferences, bottom of the Autofocus Tab, where you configure the path to the FocusMax system file?
    ACP defaults to the C: drive unless you specifically enter a path to a non-standard location.

William.

If that field is blank ACP does nothing. Then when Focus Max starts, it simply uses the system file that is already configured in Focus Max.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    If that field is blank ACP does nothing. Then when Focus Max starts, it simply uses the system file that is already configured in Focus Max.
    Hi Bob, I thought Sunday was a day of rest for you.....

Looking at the startup error in Peters latest logs it appears as though ACP is configured to look for the FocusMax system file on his D: drive where I think he moved FocusMax previously, but is denied access and so reverts to his C: drive instead. Similar to his other folder permissions issues?

William.

Yes I think. that's right William. It was left as default so I have redirected it to the D drive and will see if that works

Not only is it now not repeating itself, but also now the focusmax is running every 3 hours as I have it set in Scheduler. which is good.

I checked the settings in ACP and I hadn't selected any of the. preferences you mentioned.

Several times. I have tried to create an Offset file for focusing, but it never completes. for some reason ? something to do with the narrowband filters? - I think. it would stop on them from memory.

One other thing is that since I moved my Public folder back to the C Drive, I have not been getting the Schedulers logs on my web browser. I found them back on the D Drive under a new Public and Doc Root folder which is strange- it has recreated it there so it is still pointing there but unsure why. In ACP Preferences I have the logs and Doc Root pointing to the C drive

Maybe I need to change something in RegEdit but unsure how

Peter

Willliam and Peter --

Looking at the startup error in Peters latest logs it appears as though ACP is configured to look for the FocusMax system file on his D: drive where I think he moved FocusMax previously, but is denied access and so reverts to his C: drive instead. Similar to his other folder permissions issues?
    I can't comment until I know if the System File field in ACP Preferences is blank or not. Most installations leave it blank. As I mentioned, this lets FocusMax pick the one that is configured in FocusMax. Did I miss something? This thread has become epic.

Snap1.jpg
    -- Bob

Also the Scheduler seems not only to be doing the focus twice but it is also doing it after each run instead of every 3 hours which is what is in the Configuration in Scheduler and am not sure why it is doing that
    If the focus fails, the scheduler will keep trying ad nauseum. Thus is why its happening after/before every Observation. I believe the problem is that FocusMax is failing? In another part of the thred I have asked (and again today) if the System File in ACP's preferences is blank. If so, FocusMax is on its own, and Scheduler is simply calling it to "go focus". If there is a system file specified there, ACP will not do any "fallback" or ???, instead it simply tells FocusMax "use this as your system file" and then the same process, ACP calls FocusMax to "go focus" and waits. If that fails, Scheduler will call again, and again and again after each Observation till it succeeds. I suppose I should count consecutive focus fails, and after some number, declare an Operator Intervention condition.
    -- Bob

Does this mean you have focusing running again? If so thank you for letting us know, and and thank you William!!!!

Several times. I have tried to create an Offset file for focusing, but it never completes. for some reason ? something to do with the narrowband filters? - I think. it would stop on them from memory.
    Would you please start a separate thread/topic for this? I'm going to close this epic one as soon as I hear that the focusing issue has been solved.

One other thing is that since I moved my Public folder back to the C Drive, I have not been getting the Schedulers logs on my web browser. I found them back on the D Drive under a new Public and Doc Root folder which is strange- it has recreated it there so it is still pointing there but unsure why. In ACP Preferences I have the logs and Doc Root pointing to the C drive

Maybe I need to change something in RegEdit but unsure how
    Peter do not change things in Regedit, ever. Thanks.

Would you also start a separate thread/topic for this one as well? (same reason as above). Thanks.
    -- Bob

Thread Information