Thread: Downgrading

Default Downgrading

I have a remote system with two refractors and one DSLR lens/camera mounted between them. All on one mount. This is driven by two computers. The two refractors are on one computer with an uptodate ACP expert license. I have just been using MaximDL on a second computer with the DSLR unit but want to switch to ACP by purchasing a basic ACP license (I do wish the ACP licensing wasn't so steep). I can't afford the expert license and it isn't needed with that setup. The problem is that I have an old unused ACP expert install on that second system. The question is what will happen if I change the serial number on that install to that of a new ACP basic license. Will it smoothly degrade itself? Or do I need to uninstall the old ACP expert system. I guess what this amounts to is downgrading an old unused ACP expert install by inserting a new ACP Basic license number. I wanted to ask before doing it. I haven't purchased the second ACP license yet.

Thanks,
    Mike

I will let Stephanie know about this and she'll contact you to arrange for the downgrade. The second unused Expert license will be converted into extra years of support and upgrades on your one Expert license and the new Basic one. We also have a policy of resetting the support period on unused licenses so you don't lose the support period on the unused one. We are going to be offline for the AAVSO Meeting Friday and Monday so . Don't uninstall ACP on that soon-to-be ACP Basic system. Feel free to uninstall ACP Scheduler on that one though. We will make it right for you.
    -- Bob

Bob,

Thanks. I guess I wasn't precise enough in my description. When I added the second computer to my rig to drive the DSLR it was easier to just clone the first system and update any licenses that needed updating. That I did. But I did not update ACP because I did not have any plans to use it. But now I want to use it but it has a serial number from the original computer. My question is how best to make the install legal if I just want ACP basic. Is it enough just to purchase a basic license and change the license in the program? I thought the fact that it is an expert install might cause problems. Want to be sure.

Thanks,'
    Mike

One more thought Bob. Have you ever considered making the ACP license per mount rather than per computer? The mount serial number should be easily accessible in software. I suppose that would suit some people, though not all. In my case I have my mount crammed as full as I can get it because remote site rental is very steep.
    Mike

I'm a bit confused, so I tried to call you at the 0307 number. I left voice mail. Call me at your convenience and we'll work out how to get you going.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    I'm a bit confused, so I tried to call you at the 0307 number. I left voice mail. Call me at your convenience and we'll work out how to get you going.
    Bob,

Thanks for the call. I am happy with the way it worked out.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael Bushell; Oct 17, 2019 at 20:50.

Thanks for letting us know :-)
    -- Bob

Thread Information