Hybrid View

Default Scheduler crash during dusk flat test

I'm trying to conduct the Scheduler's Test Dusk Flats and it exits the the Scheduler as soon as I click the button. Log attached. Earlier I found the port 9123 issue, fixed that, still crashing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I made a couple more attempts today to figure this out.
    First log is in Simulator Mode. Scheduler exits.
    Second log is first in Day/Night Mode - here I first tried to run it (intentionally) wo/equipment connected, then ran again with connected (weather bad, that's fine), then again in Simulator Mode and again the exit to desktop.
    Third log is Simulator Mode again with Extreme Logging turned on, and then it closes after hitting dusk flats.

One more thing, this is on a Windows 10 1903 build - so, not the dreaded 1909 update (yet).

Do you see anything at all when the Scheduler exits? Or is it just disappearing? If so, looks like yet another Windows 10 "disappearing app" situation. I'll need to gather info. I'm trying to get a handle on what is "suddenly" causing these. It's looking like possibly a .NET Framework update. I tried calling on the -4744 number, but I got a FAX or ??

Since you can repro this, please do me a favor and gather some info for me. Right click on My Computer or whatever and select Manage. Then select System Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application. In the top center window (which will take a long time to load!!) find any (all) events for the time you ran the test and check for ones that mention scheduler.exe. For each (there may be 2-3) double-Click that event's line, select the Details tab, and then click Copy. Open Notepad and paste the data into that, save it, zip it, and attach to a reply here. That info might provide a clue. I have one other of these now, from a Japanese system, and I want to get one from each system that this is happening to. I'm looking at the version number of 'mscorlib' DLL, the .NET runtime, which is where the other one of these is failing.

If you have a system/image backup from before this started happening, I would suggest you apply it and get your system back on its feet. Then stop Windows updates. Failing that force update your system to the present. I have a clean W10 1903 test system here that is totally up to date as of yesterday. ACP Expert is running fine on it, so that's why I can't repro this. I'm hoping to heck that they have repaired this and that updating to the present will get you going again. If not I will need to isolate the offending update, assuming I can reproduce it at all here. I don't know what it is nor what it might be dependent on.

This is my best efforts to help you. I'm afraid the root cause is beyond my area of knowledge and outside my capabilities.
    -- Bob

Bob,

Sorry I missed you! We got hit with that massive bomb cyclone thing last night and VoIP phones and internet keep going out. Also, that number is no longer active - I'll email you my current one or maybe call you tomorrow when I get back out here.

Anyway, attached is a fresh log from Windows 10. I suspect you are right, but can't be sure because I just started getting going with Scheduler on this system. It seems to be isolated to the Simulator portion of Scheduler - so perhaps that will inform the path we need to take? I hope! More tomorrow. -Tim

I知 on the road headed for the AAVSO meeting in NM (yes Stephanie痴 driving ha ha). I値l do my best to keep up. We値l be back in the office Wednesday.
    -- Bob

Checking in on this. I have a Windows 10 1903 updated through today and the Scheduler is running OK. However, since Windows 10's "last-chance unhandled exception" behavior is now more like a cell phone (grrr) and programs "just disappear" I have added my own catcher that can probably help us zero in on this. Attached is a test build of Scheduler.exe. Try this (save the original one by renaming, etc.). See if you can get it to fail. Take a screen shot of the popup error box. This may provide some clue!
    -- Bob

Got it, we'll test this afternoon. Like I said in other thread, I think letting the updates through fixed some of this - but good to have a better "catcher" since it could possible appear again. I'll report back as soon as I see anything interesting... -Tim

OK, Tim. I'm curious to see the result.
    -- Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denny View Post
    Checking in on this. I have a Windows 10 1903 updated through today and the Scheduler is running OK. However, since Windows 10's "last-chance unhandled exception" behavior is now more like a cell phone (grrr) and programs "just disappear" I have added my own catcher that can probably help us zero in on this. Attached is a test build of Scheduler.exe. Try this (save the original one by renaming, etc.). See if you can get it to fail. Take a screen shot of the popup error box. This may provide some clue!
    Bob,

Ran my StartUpObs script in Normal, Day/Night, Simulate mode and so far no crashes. I think it showed Scheduler running v 8.3.1? I'll keep playing with it, but so far so good. No popup boxes. I'm still thinking there was a broken update from Sept/Oct 2019 that was then fixed by a subsequent Windows update.

Ok, good. Yes 8.3.1 (details say test, superseding 8.2.x). Hopefully we値l get details if it happens again.
    -- Bob

Thread Information